Help

The VENT

This was the dumbest career move

>

checkerjane

This was the dumbest career move
Old 11-09-2019, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve kicked myself almost everyday since I started in sped. I know itíll be nearly impossible to get back into gen ed now, and it will probably never happen at the district Iím at. This decision might be a career ender. I canít do this again next year.

checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

Violet4

I'm sorry checkerjane
Old 11-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I empathize with that feeling as you know. I wish I had great advice for you. Just know that anytime you feel like venting I'm here.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-09-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got out. And I got out because of my Sped. It helps tremendously in the gen ed classroom. When you email P’s really talk it up. And talk it up on your cover letters, how it can help kids in the gen ed classroom (your ability to modify, accommodate, etc.). It just takes one principal willing to make the move.

Now I’m trying to get back in. In a different district. But I’m too old, too expensive and too fat so I’m stuck in my district.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-09-2019, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Even more crappy is that things my principal promised me last year when she found out I was applying at other places, arenít happening. She continues to pull my paras to sub, even though she said she wouldnít. I was supposed to get some money for resources for my severe kids, and I havenít.

mooba1

Old 11-09-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I got out of Sped too, using the same approach Greyhound Girl mentioned. It can be done, you just have to be determined to make it happen. Donít give up!

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

getting out of SPED
Old 11-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't know when your credential is up or how your credential is structured, but you could just not renew the SPED credential and keep the gen ed one. That is what my husband did.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-09-2019, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I don't know when your credential is up or how your credential is structured, but you could just not renew the SPED credential and keep the gen ed one. That is what my husband did.
My district would force me to renew it.

Singvogel

How can they force you?
Old 11-10-2019, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

-unless they lie, fill out the paperwork, and pay for it.

If you have a union, check with them about placement if you choose not to renew.

The real problem is continued employment. Is there anyone above your admin who might be more sympathetic?
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 11-10-2019, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Be careful. True, they can not force you to renew your SPED certification, however if your placement requires you to have that certificate you may be without a job since you are no longer licensed to teach in the position you were hired to teach. Read your contract carefully. Our contracts specifically state our placements such as
elementary teacher, SPED, Title, HS, music, etc. If you no longer had that SPED certificate you are no longer able to teach in that department and there is no protection or requirement that they have to move you to another dept. They could, but are not required. You made the choice to not renew thus making the choice to no longer be qualified for your job.
Another point to think about is how difficult would it be to get that certificate back if you wanted or needed it in the future. Would it require going back to school for additional credits or training? Would you need to take a test? It might not be easy to get your certification back if you let it lapse.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'd try to find another SPED position in a different school, even a different grade level? Administration can make all the difference.

I'm stuck in SPED too, in my case I'm EBD. I get sworn at and dodge things thrown at me daily. I'm constantly putting out fires. BUT my administration supports me 100% and that makes it a little easier.

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-10-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

[QUOTE]
Quote:
-unless they lie, fill out the paperwork, and pay for it.

If you have a union, check with them about placement if you choose not to renew.

The real problem is continued employment. Is there anyone above your admin who might be more sympathetic?
No! They get more unsympathetic the higher up the chain you go. And, yes, continued employment would be the issue. My license isnít up for renewal for another two years, and we have to pay for our own renewals anyhow.

Quote:
I'd try to find another SPED position in a different school, even a different grade level? Administration can make all the difference.

I'm stuck in SPED too, in my case I'm EBD. I get sworn at and dodge things thrown at me daily. I'm constantly putting out fires. BUT my administration supports me 100% and that makes it a little easier.
I had an offer from another school this summer but turned it down. The director couldnít guarantee if it would be for preschool program or 2nd. I would not be a good fit for preschoolers ALL DAY, and my principal promised me things (that she hasnít made good on) so I stayed.

Iím going to contact them again in February asking to be considered in the event they have another opening. At this point, Iíd gladly take littles all day.

jov

Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

GreyhoundGirl is so right! I was a sped teacher for many years before moving to regular ed. My skills developed as a sped teacher were invaluable in making me a better classroom teacher. Now that more moderate/severe kids are being placed in mainstream classrooms (with less and less support of course), your skills are crucial to making it all work! Play it up big time in your resume, cover letters, and interviews.

Apply everywhere, even places you really don't intend on moving to. A steady stream of requests for references from your principal may finally clue him/her in that you are very serious about moving to regular ed, whether in the school/district or outside.

Retired now, but I thank God every day I worked in a state with strong teacher unions. Per contract, when positions open up, the teacher (professional status - 3+ years) with the highest seniority, the appropriate license, and an overall proficient evaluation gets the job.

Your case is just so unfair. Crappy reward for doing a good job. I wish you the best in your search for a new position!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Definitely agree with all41 who-
Old 11-10-2019, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

said it better than me.

Quote:
Be careful. True, they can not force you to renew your SPED certification, however if your placement requires you to have that certificate you may be without a job since you are no longer licensed to teach in the position you were hired to teach. Read your contract carefully.
Our district has had SPED teachers leave to another district because of lack of support all the way up the chain.

Teachers go through situations like yours, and people wonder why we don't have more job satisfaction!
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Old 11-11-2019, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I can relate - this is my 4th year in special ed and I wish I never left gen ed. I know I will not be able to get back into gen ed at my current school - so I am actually stuck here until I retire as I am an older teacher. So, I will keep doing my best.
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 11-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I know the feeling too. I got into SPED and taught it oh, a total of ONE YEAR, ha! And SPED sure isn't what it used to be back around 2006/2007.

I didn't care for it. It's fun or alright to sub for it though!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote
missamberlori
Old 11-13-2019, 09:41 PM
This message has been deleted by missamberlori. Reason: re read not helpful