Fourth Grade

Grading Sitton Spelling

>

Jaylin

Jaylin

Grading Sitton Spelling
Old 09-13-2008, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, so the end of the week comes and you give the review: the word test, skill test and dictated sentences. So how do you grade it? Do you give a separate grade for each section? What becomes the "individualized spelling list?" Are they the words from the word test and the dictation? I have no idea how to grade this review.

missmia

Old 09-14-2008, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would like to know others procedures for this as well.
missmia is offline   Reply With Quote

firefleye7

Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hate this program. I have been "trying" to figure it out for two years now. I don' like how in September a spelling word could be dog and in June it could be dog once again.
firefleye7 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherlady41

What I do -
Old 09-14-2008, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't give the dictated sentences. I give the review as a pre-test without the skill section, and I have the kids take the words they missed (or up to three for those that miss a lot) as their spelling words along with the core words. At the end of the week, I give the review with the skill, divide the points out equally with the words and skill responses and grade from there. I know some teachers give the dictated sentences and not the page, but I think my class would have a tough time.

HTH a bit -

Teacherlady

edited to add, last year I had the kids only use words they missed
teacherlady41 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Gidge

Sitton
Old 09-20-2008, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love this program. Monday I give preview words, and dictation. From those these are the students spelling words. They put them in their agenda and study for the week.( I assign different activies for them to study.) Anyway, come Friday I give them the Cloze test and this is what you grade. Nothing else.
The Gidge

The Gidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Jaylin

Jaylin

Grading
Old 09-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

But how do you grade them? 20 words so 5 points a piece? I don't konw.

The Gidge

Sitton
Old 09-21-2008, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes,
If there are 20 questions 5 each. Now what they get wrong starts there new spelling words. Look in your Sitton book she does a great job explaining how to use the program. You can also contact her. They have all week to study these words and you are using them over and over that week in what your teaching from your sitton lessons. I find it a good program. They go into no nonsene words etc..
The Gidget

The Gidge

Sitton
Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The program does not want them to memorize these words like in the old days we gave spelling words and tested on Friday. These are no nonsense words that they should master before they leave you. The nice thing is every child has their own words. You might have no spelling words and I might have 7. If you have the book go through it. It really is a good program.
The Gidge
You give the pre-view and ditation on Monday, so they have all week and Friday or what ever day you give the cloze test.
The Gidge

iluvlucy

Sitton
Old 09-27-2008, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I began working in a district with Sitton Spelling. I had no guidance the first year, just the book. I found it very labor intensive, with few wonderful results. My district sent me to the training last year. That helped me understand it better, but it is still labor intensive, with so much repetition on concepts. I sometimes feel like we just don't want our kids to have to commit ideas to memory at all. I think that's not a good thing. The kids I got from 2nd grade into my third grade class this year are the worst spellers I've had. I now blend some sitton concepts into a traditional program. I'm happier, the kids are happier, and the parents are happier. I still use "no excuses" words, and make sure that we cover concepts presented in the close test. But I've bought another spelling program from Evan-Moor that I love because it has many of the ideas from Sitton (word forms), etc., but it doesn't take so much of my time.
iluvlucy is offline   Reply With Quote
ar

ar

sitton spelling
Old 03-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I read these past postings. I wondered if people were still using Sitton spelling. We are considering using it for 2nd grade for the 2009-2010 school year. I'd love to hear positive and negative things and even if people have a better suggestion to use for spelling. I'm tired of kids passing a test but not applying it to their daily writing.

MissMaddie

MissMaddie

Old 09-12-2009, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I find it a bit disturbing that you have so many spelling errors in your posts, yet you love Sitton Spelling. That is the problem I find with Sitton. They give the student rules. Then they test on words that weren't specifically taught. You spelled there/they're/their wrong in your post. That makes me really nervous. Sitton teaches spelling rules, then tests on homophones. It just doesn't seem right.
Gregory

Gregory

Old 10-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I feel the exact opposite. My kids come into my third grade room failing every test for the first few weeks. After they understand what to do and see the words they need to know, they are very successful. Both on tests and in their writing. I have not seen a better program. If you have, I would love to know about it!!
Genevieve Ba

Genevieve Ba

Concerned Parent
Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My daughter’s school has adopted Sitton Spelling for the 2010/2011 school year. I work with her throughout the week to memorize her words and I always use them in context when testing her. Every Friday morning she gets 100% on her test here at home. However, I recently attended a parent teacher conference and learned that she is averaging 20% when taking the weekly Sitton Spelling test. This constant low test scores have greatly impacted her self esteem. Last year she looked forward to the spelling test because her hard work was reflected in her grades. This semester, she views the tests as an unobtainable goal and has a constant pessimistic attitude toward spelling as a result. I am meeting with the appropriate school staff to try to stop Sitton Spelling before it does to much more damage.
abtolly

abtolly

Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My daughter's teacher uses this program and I am not sure I fully understand it. I have not seen any words come home only the cloze test and just one for the entire year so far. Should there be a cloze test every week? I am also a teacher and like to use the Evan Moore Building Spelling Skills program. I like the word study feature and that the words have patterns.
Concerndad

Concerndad

Spelling and skill test
Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am very concerned about my son as well. We study at home and he gets 100 percent of the spelling word correct through the week. Then when he takes the test he does well on the word test and poorly on the skill test. He is very discouraged and adding homophones or compound words with long vowel sounds to the spelling test sets the child up for failure. As a parent of a bright kid I find this program reduces the chance of success and causes doubt and is making my son feel like he is stupid. He works so hard and is giving up. This is not a good program if it make kids feel bad about themselves. Also it appears they try to trick the kids from time to time and are not consistent. Leaving one space for two separate words.
Mrs.Jennifer

Mrs.Jennifer

We Hate Sitton Spelling
Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This post is long because I am passionate about it--my apologies!

Quite honestly, my children already know how to spell the words being targeted. By third and fourth grade, they already can spell the word "got." Although, Sitton argues that it is easier for a student to learn to spell the word "through" than the word "got" based solely on the fact that the student encounters the word "through" more often in their everyday reading than the word "got." As the student experiences the vision of the "whole word" on a consistent basis, phonics, according to Sitton, plays no part in a student's ability to learn how to spell. Try "through" vs. "got" out on any kindergartener and see how that plays out. Trust me, as a child I didn't even need to see the word "cat" repeatedly to learn how to spell it. I learned to spell that word in nursery school through the phonics experiences provided by the teachers.

This is the strangest program I have ever encountered. Both of my children were prolific writers employing dynamic sentences with almost impeccable spelling, punctuation and grammar. Now, they both dread language arts and spelling. During homework, we all nearly cry with frustration when trying to complete those very awkward crossword puzzles which rely on definitions that were never provided for the words. We end up scanning the glossary to see if we can figure out the words that go with the definitions that stump even mommy.

My daughter is in third grade and there is a writing assignment in her workbook each week which requires the student to write a paragraph on a specified topic using the words from the word list and bonus word list. This is challenging for even me to do as the words are often not related to each other or the specified topic. Creating a paragraph using the words together results in a very weak and awkward paragraph that only makes a modicum of sense. This weakens her writing.

My son is in fourth grade and struggles with the editing assignments. There are so many errors presented in each assignment that I get lost within the paragraphs and have a hard time trying to figure out what the writer is actually trying to say. Of course my son gets frustrated with this--that particular assignment is created to try to "trick" him. There are times when I can't identify what the errors should be for a given line. If I, as a teacher who majored in English & Education and possesses an advanced degree, cannot make sense of all of this, how is my 10 year old son going to manage it?

Once incredible writers, both of my children have now declared themselves "bad spellers" and actively avoid any extra-curricular creative writing. Both children have abandoned their journals at home despite the fact that I have repeatedly pointed out that their personal journals are not graded and are explicitly for their pleasure. Unfortunately, language arts are no longer a pleasure for my children.

As for being rooted in research, I can't find any reputable research studies. The two "research studies" that are provided on Sitton's own website are a joke. First of all, the "research study" completed on the elementary school level was done by 2 third grade teachers (neither of whom appear to have a M.Ed or a Phd.Ed following behind their names). Within their own report, they admitted that they omitted the following Sitton curriculum pieces from their implementation: student practice books, Priority Word accountablility lists, class books and teaching posters. Pardon me, but I believe that those are significant omissions that most assuredly had an impact upon the study findings. The very long list of references that appears at the bottom of that study pertain mainly toward the development of the Core words list, not to the Sitton curriculum itself.

The second "study" was completed on the middle school level by a "candidate for a Master of Teaching" program. Again, I question the training in statistical, qualitative & quantitative methods, applied multivariate analysis, and pschometric theory that would qualify an individual to conduct professional research.

While grammatically problematic, I stand by the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim and I encourage teachers to hold fast to the "old, traditional" methods of spelling instruction. After all, you're reading this right now and were probably taught through that method!