The VENT

Told to change bulletin board

>

signed out

signed out

Told to change bulletin board
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I can't believe this! We have been back to school not quite 4 weeks. The principal sent me an e-mail and told me to change my hallway bulletin board because it had been up too long! It was a "back-to-school" type board that had everyone's name on it. It was really sharp-looking and the kids really liked it. I had planned on changing it this week to a September/October fall bulletin board. Anyway, what irks me is that no one else has changed their bulletin board yet, but she chooses mine to say something about? She said that mine was too "back-to-school-ish" and it needed updated. Seriously? I wanted to tell her, "Sorry, but I've been a little swamped serving on all of your stupid committees that no one else will do and working my butt off every weekend here making meaningful, differentiated lesson plans. But...I'll get right on that bulletin board." Geesh. It must be nice to have time to worry about such important issues as bulletin boards. I am definitely not a slacker and am well-respected by parents and peers and bring lots of grant money to our school...so I don't know where this is coming from.

Grrrrrr!! What would you have said to her?

newoldteacher

Just Smile...
Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and let it roll off your back. Folks like your principal have no clue about real education. Feel sorry for her loss/lack of compassion and common sense...and move one. )
newoldteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

He wouldn't
Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

be a micro manager would he???? Since when do principals have so much extra time that they worry about bulletin boards.......hmmm!
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Haha, if only our principals cared so much....?!?!?!
, we sometimes have bulletin boards up for whole seasons. I know a teacher who thought bbs were a waste of time so she covered hers with black paper and left them blank 'in protest'! I love doing the bulletin boards and I try to make time to change it every month or so, but if I miss one, most of my boards are general and have to do with what we've done in class; not so much the seasonal stuff, so it can go unnoticed.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

what would I have said....
Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would have said what every teacher I hav worked for (para) has said to me about bulletin boards....."The board in the hall needs to be changed. You can find the stuff in the back closet. Have fun and be creative."

SassyTeach

How rude!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Me, being the smartass that I am, would have emailed him back and said something like "Thanks for noticing the board! The kids love it, and I promised them to keep it up a bit longer. When things settle down and I don't have one meeting on top of the other, crazy amounts of papers to grade, and a life to live, I'll get right on that!"

Sheesh! Like he dosn't have anything better to worry about?! CRAZY!
SassyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

BigDaddyBo

What a sexist bunch...
Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

OP Typed:

Anyway, what irks me is that no one else has changed their bulletin board yet, but she chooses mine to say something about? She said that mine was too "back-to-school-ish" and it needed updated. Seriously? I wanted to tell her, "Sorry, but I've been a little swamped...

I see the word she twice and her once.

Why did many of you assume the principal was a man?

vzteacher: " Me, being the smartass that I am, would have emailed him back..."

SeaGlass: "be a micro manager would he????"

I'm just teasing here. I just thought it was funny that the jack*** administrator must have been a man.
BigDaddyBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Don't let your principal near my room. I have the exact same bulletin boards up for the entire year.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ccarlton

give me a break!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

As I was reading your post, I was thinking the exact same thing as Seaglass. You know your principal is a micromanager when they send you an email about changing your bulletin board! As if there are no other important things for you to be doing! I think we should keep this thread going by coming up with a list based on the following topic:

The teacher's version of Jeff Foxworthy:Your principal might be a micromananger if:

1. your principal emails you to change your bulletin board
ccarlton is offline   Reply With Quote

IN-5th

Your principal might be a micromanager if...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

...she waits at the door in the morning to make sure everyone is "on time."

IN-5th is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Let
Old 09-25-2009, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

it roll off your back and change it. My September one is up and I plan to put the naked turkey one up if I ever get it home. We know you are not a slacker and the P obviously needs something better to do.

I got told to change a bulletin board color paper about ten years ago in the school district from you know where. Principal (I heard) felt bad when he heard through the grapevine that I am severly colorblind.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 09-25-2009, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I took the bulletin board down that was outside my classroom...........
Ima Spedtcher is online now   Reply With Quote

yesteach

And this is why...
Old 09-25-2009, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I love being outside in the portables.. no walls to put up a bulletin board.. .

I'm with Ima Teacher - I have ONE bulletin board in my room, and the only thing that gets changed about it is the "month" and the dates on the calendar..
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

give em' what they ask for
Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Just take it down and leave it empty for at least another week.
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

My BB story
Old 09-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I put up 2 fairly good BBs before Open House which was the evening before the kids came for the first time the next day.

In the meantime, my responsibilities changed Big Time from just an intervention teacher, but not sped, to being an inclusion teacher in others' homeroom classes 3 periods a day.

My bulletin boards no longer made sense with what my new responsibilities are. So, I sadly took them down except for the background paper and border. That was the 2nd week of school.

We will be starting the 6th weekof school on Monday, and I still have just the background paper and borders up.

I'm thinking of writing "speechless" on a piece of butcher paper in very large letters in a big cloud shape and staplling that on each.

Bet your principal would really be upset with me, huh?
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Old 09-27-2009, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We don't have b boards outside our class. I made one with paper and boarder, but I just got the word that I'm going to have to take it down because of fire codes.

Oh, well, one less thing to worry about. Unfortunately, there is no place to display student work and our halls look so institutional because they are so bare! (I should have realized when I saw all the bare walls that there was a reason for this!)
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

Balloony

Old 09-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Our cafeteria has paper butterflies hanging from the ceiling in one corner. There are snowflakes hanging in another corner. Pumpkins and fall leaves in another corner. Flowers in another corner. They have all the seasons covered, all year long. There are also some large "cafeteria publicity signs" hanging too. To each his/her own, I guess.
Balloony is offline   Reply With Quote

Artbex

Ima spedteacher
Old 10-29-2009, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

you go girl! That was too funny
Artbex is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

your BB
Old 10-30-2009, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I would have told her that I greatly appreciate her input, but you've been swamped with many other things, such as committees. Would it be possible to get an assistant or other person to help you with one? Our bulletin boards are done as a team. I was assigned a bulletin board, but I was supposed to complete it with another person.

As for changing it, get the kids to do it for you. Have them take up your instruction time (since she wants a new one!) and do something cute for the bulletin board. If you have older kids, they can put it up by themselves while you go about other business.

I am extremely grateful that my principal doesn't obsess over bulletin boards! I'd like to add, just for your amusement, that February bulletin boards were up in the hallways in our school in May. I guess you can see what a low priority they are at our school.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote