Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Who uses do nows?

>

teachg8tr

Who uses do nows?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use "do nows" for bell work in the morning? I want to use this but I'm not sure exactly what to do. Is it just a question on the board? Activity? Do you have some examples you could share? TIA!

teachg8tr is offline   Reply With Quote

jakshom

Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When students come in the room, you usually have 2-4 questions that pertain to the lesson from yesterday; or a question about the lesson for the day to start building back ground knowledge. They usually last about 5 to 15 minutes. The thought is that while they are doing this they are getting their brains ready for history class (or math, or LA).

While they quietly do the warm up, bell ringer or do now, you are doing taking role, etc. or checking for homework. I require students to work on the warm up and have their homework on the right corner of their desk, so I can check it.

Besides questions you could also have silent reading, journal entries, analyizing pictures, etc.

I use them and they are just part of structuring the day for 7th graders.
jakshom is offline   Reply With Quote

teachg8tr

do now
Old 08-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much! That was very helpful! It's my first year in middle school (6th grade World History) after teaching elementary for 10 yrs.

I feel so much better now
teachg8tr is offline   Reply With Quote

Ellefsgrl

I do them too
Old 08-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I call them "Jumpstarts"
Ellefsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We call it "Welcome Work". We've also called it "Daily Focus", "Flashbacks", "Journal", and "Do Now."

I use a variety of things.

Sometimes it's a question from the day before. Sometimes it's a basic skills question. Sometimes it's editing. Sometimes a definition. Sometimes it's reading a library book or something for class. Sometimes it's just getting materials together for the day's class.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I call mine "Bellwork." I teach math, so I always have three questions from the previous days lesson. Sometimes if the kids struggle with a skill, I will put up a question for a couple of weeks. This practice REALLY helps them become familiar and review material.
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelgurl4

Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also teach 6th grade world history..... I use DO Now this is what I do .....students take paper and fold into 4 (I say squares but actually rectangles) Head paper At very top they are to write DO Now Week 1 ( and so on)
Date the 1st box and write answer in box. Next day next day , next date I collect on Fridays I look ahead to quizes, end of chapter assessment, reading checks in book (this makes them go back to book and then are prepared for quizzes and assessments) Also writing prompts ( example compare and contrast..... ) Also self reflections and questions for the teacher. I give 10 points ......... We go over answers or prompts in class
Angelgurl4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jewelsey

I use them too!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have always used Do Now's. I teach 6th grade math and I usually post a few problems from the previous lesson's topic as review. Then, as students are finishing up, I ask a few students to write their work and answers on the board. They really love going up to the board and sharing their answers (especially if they have the correct answer.) If I have been working one-on-one with a student to complete one of these problems who generally struggles, I will ask him/her to share their work. This is usually a huge confidence boost. Plus, since I generally am reviewing the previous day's material, I have a good sense if the students understood the topic or if I need to reteach it.
Jewelsey is offline   Reply With Quote

MmeP

used to have bell work
Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

until our school stopped having bells to change classes (we have them back again, it was a bizarro 3 years!) and changed to Do Now and it stuck. This year I'm adding a "Do Later" which is the 'ticket out the door' ...what they should know/be able to do by the end of class. We're supposed to have a ticket out the door but it's a mouthfull for me to say and I always felt kind of cheesy saying it for some reason...I kind of like this better!
MmeP is offline   Reply With Quote