Help

Sixth Grade

How do teach them all?

>

Jewelsey

How do teach them all?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach math to a huge range of abilities all in the same class. I have some students that can't tell me which single digits numbers are even and which are odd. And they sit in the same class as other students that are determining the surface area of all the parts of the famous CITGO sign in Boston in the Advanced Math Lab Class. And unfortunately, I have more of the lower performing students than the advanced ones.

And now I have a parent that is calling to question how I am challenging her daughter (of course she's one of the higher performing ones). And her daughter is SO cocky in class... even mom admits that this is a trait of her daughter's. When I ask her to help other students in the class she rolls her eyes and lets out a terrible sigh, as if I've asked her to clean the inside of a filthy toilet bowl. With an attitude like that, I really don't want to do anything special for her.

Plus our school hasn't passed AYP for 4 years in a row, so I really have my hands full getting those lower performing students up to speed.

Any thoughts/suggestions? I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Jewelsey is offline   Reply With Quote

loonfourth

Math Class
Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello,

I am in a similar situation and I found a solution to the problem. In 60 minutes, I teach two completely different lessons. It takes good management to pull it off!

First, I have a checker in the advanced group check in their work. Next, they preview their next skill (written on the board) while I give direct instruction to my lower group. While my lower group is working on their independent practice, I instruct the advance group. When I am done with both groups, I walk around and give individual help and answer and questions.

Toward the end of the lesson, I call out random problems and award groups with correct answers that they explained.

This is kind of hard to explain, but it works for me!
loonfourth is offline   Reply With Quote

Jewelsey

Interesting Idea
Old 12-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is an interesting idea... do you think you could do this with less time? I only have 40 minute class periods, so I don't know if there is enough time to teach 2 lessons.
Jewelsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 12-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would teach the lower lesson, and provide independent projects to the higher kids - reports on famous mathematicians, research on other number systems, etc. Offer a "test-out" at the beginning of the unit. If they can prove they don't need the lesson, they are allowed to work on the more advanced projects.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

hazeleyesinnc

I teach 6th grade...
Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For the first time this year in 6th grade I'm teaching groups. I divide my 90 minute time with the following: 10 minutes for Mental Math (20 problems each day- test on Friday), 20 minute lesson, 15 minutes for rotation 1 (lowest group first with independent- workbook page or worksheet), 15 minutes rotation with a game or task cards, 15 minutes rotation with projects, flip chutes, half circles, or many many other activities. Each group of students rotate to each group and then I can work with anyone in the groups that need help and all of the other groups are explained in detail. This is working for me and I grade anything that is turned in each day and most of what they are doing is practice and fun- and not graded.......

hazeleyesinnc is offline   Reply With Quote