Help

Sunflower Room

Book Bins

>

teecher13

Book Bins
Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've read some lesson plans for reading workshop that do not begin with the students choosing their own books from the classroom library. They say the teacher chooses books for book baskets. My question is: do you use one basket of books for a table of 4 or 5 and rotate the baskets from table to table or do you fill each students' individual book bin with books for them and then the teacher switches the books out of the book bins. Then the lesson plans show that by October, the minilessons are on how to choose just right books and students choose their own books to fill up their book bins. Hope this makes sense!

Mz. L.

What grade are you teaching?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In second I have been (and am planning for next week's start!) using individual tubs for each group or team (four to five kids sitting in a pod) for the first two or three weeks of school while we build up reading stamina. In the tubs I have first grade and early second grade level books in fiction and non fiction. Now I have about 15 books or so in tub for four kids. Often I will switch tubs after a few days. The idea is to keep the kids in their seats for independent reading. Then, I'll give out individual reading nooks(magazine holders), when they are independent for some time. I'll know when (I hope!).

teecher13

Teaching 2nd
Old 08-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my first year going "basal free" and doing reader's workshop. I'm a little nervous but I'm determined to do it! Thanks for the help with the book bins. I that's how I was planning to do it for the first few weeks to. By the beginning of October I plan to have done mini lessons on how to use the library and pick just right books and they will have their own book bins. I got some extra $ from PTO so I ordered bins from Really Good Stuff. Can't wait until they get here!

afmom2boys

Target
Old 08-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our target store had really nice bins in the $1 section for $2.50- you could always put them on a supply list.