Does CCSS Iniative kill Reader's Worksop? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Sunflower Room

Does CCSS Iniative kill Reader's Worksop?

>

twinkle_toes_

Does CCSS Iniative kill Reader's Worksop?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just left a PDC meeting and I'm trying to understand Common Core State Standards Initiative. We just compared first grade CCSS to our MO DESE GLE's and the page said, "STOP" (meaning don't teach this) to "text to self" as well as "listening to literature"...I'm sure that it means don't assess, but wondered some info from states that are already using the CCSS. We are to adapt CCSS with in the next 2-3 years (I think). It's all so new to me and other teachers in our district...Sorry if this all sounds so strange...I am just trying so hard to understand!

tangolily

What vs. How
Old 03-28-2012, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't know if this is helpful, but it seems to me the CCSS don't really tell you HOW to teach just WHAT to make sure your students are learning. Are you doing guided reading along with your reading workshop? If so, I don't see why you can't incorporate the CCSS into a reader's workshop with mini lessons and reading groups that cover the reading skills in CCSS.

Remember that reading workshop is not all about teaching "making connections" but it's more about helping readers find ways to understand text better. Making connections is wonderful to teach to kids that don't intuitively make connections on their own, but making connections is only a step toward better comprehension, it isn't the goal in and of itself.

VAreader

I have been asking the same question
Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but for different reasons. We have a new model (Beverly Tyner) with such intense small group work that I am struggling to make RW fit. I know it can be done, but I haven't mastered it yet. I feel like my students are losing out on extended reading time because they have to do all kinds of reading "stuff." I need the summer to process ALL the changes.

T1

Told
Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When sitting in a meeting we were told by a reading coach that CCSS did say to do away with "text to self", "text to text" and "text to world".

Owlroom5

Reponse
Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Every workshop I have been to seems to point to using Reader's workshop for Common Core. It seems to make the most sense with everything Common Core requires! While they are doing away with text-to-self (such as "I have a dog too!"), they are still wanting students to connect to text but through the theme or message of it. They will definitely still need to do text-to-text as comparing and contrasting is a big part of Common Core.

BXCoach

Maybe some clarity
Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been working with the CCSS for two years now in a school that has always delivered instruction in literacy through RW/WW. As it was previously posted the CCSS does not necessarily tell you what to teach content wise rather what skills the students are expected to be able to master by the end of the grade. In many ways the skills spiral. For example on middle level, Writing Standard 1 (which is in essence Argumentative Writing) in grade 6 they are expected to simply make a claim, in grade 7 they are expected to be able to make a claim and acknowledge the counter claim(s), in grade 8 they are expected to make a claim, acknowledge the counter claim(s) and be able to articulate the the counter argument.

In regards to your specific question on t-s, t-t, t-w, we continue to teach such skills even on middle level, because many teachers find it a good way to scaffold such learning to students as they adapt to curriculum that is non-fiction heavy (esp SwD's and ELL's). Tangolily's post makes a great point - it is about understanding the text better not just connecting to it. While the Common Core doesn't explicitly say "don't teach it" it also doesn't tell you, that you shouldn't - I think that many teachers rely on t-s when the Core expects the theme threads (t-t) more as Owlroom5 said.

In our own development of our curriculum (because we have control over that) we use the CCSS as a foundation for the overarching RW/WW's units (i.e. - argumentative writing, or literary essay) but we determine what texts they will read and more importantly the entry points into learning.

If your school uses blooms as a means for scaffolding, I would encourage you to check out Norman Webb's Depth of Knowledge (DoK) wheel - it is a good way to look at scaffolded learning to engage in higher cognitive levels of thinking while still providing a point of entry into the content and skills you expect your students to be able to do by the end of the lesson and the unit.

angelavan

Bxcoach thanks a bunch
Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For sharing & clarifying!

choppie70

Old 09-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't see how the CCSS will kill reading workshop. To me reading workshop is the way to set up your time for reading instruction. It does not tell you WHAT to teach. The CCSS is the what to teach part.

We have been working with the common core for over a year now and it has not changed how or what I teach all that much. I am just finding that I have to go in depth a bit more on some topics.

Also, just because it is not mentioned in the CCSS doesn't mean you can't teach it.