Help

Retired Teachers

Mid year Retirement

>

pinteach

Mid year Retirement
Old 11-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is it bad to retire mid year? Did anyone do this? Please give me your ideas on this?

pinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

newoldteacher

Pondered. Doing It. Loving the Decision!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm hanging it up, as of Dec. 18th. 12 years and Common Core claimed me as another Teacher who knows better and refuses to do "this" to children.

I gave my admin. notice on Oct. 28. They just posted "my" job on Nov. 14. I've told my kids, sent letters to their parents, and feel better than I've felt in 5 years, at least!!

People, outside of work, are asking me, "What did you do? You look so happy!"

If you can, do it! Good luck!
newoldteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Yes!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you are willing and able to retire there should be no worries. There is probably nothing in your contract that says you have to work until the end of the school year. The reason I choose to stay until the end of the school year was so I could get my pay through the summer. (we got paid for 52 weeks)

Things are tough in the classroom as we all know. Thankfully we have retirement as a classy way out. There are lots of fun times ahead for you.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

madelyneva

Not a problem
Old 11-18-2013, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've seen teachers do this in the past, and it has not been a problem.
As a matter of fact, in some states, teaching to the end of the midterm counts are one whole year of experience, giving you one more year of credit, giving you more in your monthly retirement checks! So you can get an extra year of credit without teaching until May!

The teachers doing this, as another person posted, told the principal a month or two ahead, giving them time to hire someone else best suited for the students, team teachers, and the school setting.

It also gave the teachers time to clean out their room without feeling rushed or stressed.

The students,the teachers, and the parents left behind were just fine. As I've said before: Life goes on without us! Others take our place, laughter fills the classroom, and all continues with the school year.

As for those of us who retire, we have peace that we did our job and all that stress is left behind! I think we are the ones who benefit the most!
madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

Smartmouth

Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did it. Best decision I ever made.

Smartmouth is offline   Reply With Quote

steelerfan1

I'm doing it
Old 11-18-2013, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just like a previous post, I am leaving on December 31st. I told my principal at the end of October. She sent a letter home to my parents and will begin interview for my position this week. Everyone says how happy I look! My students are adjusting. I will miss my students, but none of the ridiculous paperwork. Good Luck!!!!
steelerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

steelerfan1

I'm doing it
Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just like a previous post, I am leaving on December 31st. I told my principal at the end of October. She sent a letter home to my parents and will begin interviewing for my position this week. Everyone says how happy I look! My students are adjusting. I will miss my students, but none of the ridiculous paperwork. Good Luck!!!!
steelerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

goazcats

Retirement
Old 11-18-2013, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I retired mid year last year. It was the best decision for me and one I haven't regretted for even a minute. It happens more often than you think. If it's time to go, go. Your students will be fine.
goazcats is offline   Reply With Quote

nlovetexas

Go for it!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am going to do the same in 2 years. I have been teaching 28 years and have come to the conclusion that teaching isn't as fun as it did years ago. Too much paper work, CBA's, testing, testing, data meetings, parent meetings, etc. I decided to work and complete my 30 years of teaching. Our district if you teach through January, you get the credit for a full year. Yay for me!!! So I would say do it. Good luck in the decision you make.
nlovetexas is offline   Reply With Quote