Help

Fourth Grade

need 4th grade help (for interview)

>

basketball777

need 4th grade help (for interview)
Old 03-26-2015, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught 4th my first three years of my career (2004-2007), then taught 3rd 4 years...then 4th one more year in '11-'12. However, that latest year in 4th I was stuck teaching a remedial curriculum 3 hours a day for all the lowest and special kids in the grade (and 5/6) that was uncreative/redundant and at a 2nd grade level and supposed to be meant for special ed. It was themed and I made a lot of growth with those kids, but it really took my creativity and teaching skills away from me it was so scripted and redundant. Not engaging or ideal at all. I would say I didn't get back into my 4th grade groove, so that year didn't really refresh me with 4th grade in ELA. I've taught 2nd or a combo since then. Luckily, I developed many ideal engagement strategies and creative innovative ideas at my new school in the new grade...

Anyways, since I was nonrenewed I am interviewing for a 4th grade position in which the principal is very excited to interview me he says (I was his child's teacher at my current school..yep I worked my connections!). Although I have experience in all 3 grades I feel like I am out of the loop with 4th grade. Even feel like I don't know 4th grade format, especially for ELA...lol. I have explored the 4th grade websites at my school and am going to talk to one of the 4th grade teachers to help me.

Anyone have 4th grade tips for me???? I would so appreciate it. Also what type of discipline system do you use with 4th? My interview is at the beginning of next week.

basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 03-27-2015, 01:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I never taught 4th, but I have been on interview committees. I would recommend thoroughly researching the school's website to see what is specific to their school. Review the district curriculums. And look up the demographics so you know the population you would be serving. be ready to tell how you and your experiences would be the best fit, and what you would bring to that particular group. My school is very diverse, and is the only poor school in a very wealthy city. When candidates assumed our families were privileged based on the name of our city, we knew they didn't "do their homework."

Good luck! You're due to find your dream school!!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

fromkto3

4th
Old 03-27-2015, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would suggest becoming familiar with the 4th grade standards for your state and maybe develop sample ELA and Math lessons that you would/could use for one standard or access point for each.

If you already know what type of technology you would have access to, think about, and be prepared to speak about, how you will incorporate it into lessons.

In terms of classroom management, I SWEAR by Class Dojo! I use it with my 4th and 5th graders and it works well for both. I also tie in a class economy. Students can save points to purchase privileges. You can sell it as a lesson on "Financial Literacy"!
fromkto3 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 03-27-2015, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it depends on what is big in the district. Our district would be asking questions about how you incorporate 21st century learning in your teaching...how you teach critical thinking skills, collaboration, creativity, and communication skills. I would mention teaching kids to use technology to enhance their learning and also using it safely. (big topic for grades 4/5 at my school) We also focus a lot on giving students authentic learning experiences and authentic assessments. These are all hot topics in my district, but I'm not sure if they are for your district.

For ELA, a big focus in grade 4 common core is being able to read multiple texts and synthesize them to make claims that are supported by evidence.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote