Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

VIP Kids advice needed

>

Hammy6714

VIP Kids advice needed
Old 09-01-2019, 04:13 PM

I am looking for a second job to help support my kids activities. I don't necessarily need the second job but it will cushion the pocket book a little. (dance is expensive!) . Has anyone taught with VIP Kids or something similar? From what I've read it looks pretty simple but not guaranteed to make money...looking for positives and negatives! Thanks everyone!

Hammy6714 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I looked into it.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:17 PM

It looked pretty good, but the thing that kept me from doing it was that you need to teach in the middle of the night to make very much money since you are teaching kids in China. Once you have a following, it is easier to get families that might want to do it on weekends or other times that aren't in the middle of the night.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

I teach for VIPKid
Old 09-01-2019, 04:40 PM

On the plus side, you teach from your own home. They give you the powerpoint of slides for each lesson. Each lesson is 25 minutes. The prep is easy, I go through the slides, pick out props that I think will help the child understand the lesson and sometimes watch a video of an excellent lesson. Depending on your time zone, you could be teaching in the middle of the night. For example, this summer I've taught at 4 am, 10 pm, and 8:00 am EST. I opened those slots to get bookings. I didn't mind because I was off from school. The summer is much more flexible because the kids are not in school but lots of kids take the summer off from classes because they are traveling so you might not get as many bookings. I have noticed a big uptick in my bookings now that kids are headed back to school. You can teach as much or as little as you like. You set your own schedule. They offer free workshops to help you build your business because you are an independent contractor.

On the downside, it can take a while to get students. Since you are an independent contractor, you must be willing to put in the work to get noticed by the parents. They don't assign students to you. You post a biography, pictures and a welcome video that the parents can see. There are people who wait months for their first bookings, some people get booked the minute they open their schedule.

It's a very flexible job. During the school year I will be teaching Friday nights and Saturday and Sunday morning. You can teach whenever you want and open as many slots as you want. I really enjoy it. I've had other side hustles, like grading state tests on line and this is so much better. PM me if you have any questions.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-01-2019, 04:41 PM

I looked into it too and decided it wasn't worth it. The money is less than what I can get for tutoring locally, and you have to do the classes overnight since it's in China. I was considering trying it just for the summer because my sleeping schedule gets all messed up anyway, but they wanted a 6 month commitment. No way am I teaching in the middle of the night during the school year!

If you have any way to get tutoring clients locally, I'd go for that option instead. You can make more money and work less hours.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 09-01-2019, 06:23 PM

I did it for several months this year (March - mid-August) but struggled to book consistently and it was exhausting me to wake up early everyday. I was hoping to continue teaching on weekends for a little extra money but my computer broke and I havenít had the money to repair it.

bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 09-01-2019, 08:03 PM

I looked into qkids. The hours seemed better than vip. I did a computer intro and read a few pages of a book. I think it was 2 minutes. I sent my computer specs and my computer wasn't good enough. I've put the idea on the back burner for now.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

I teach for them
Old 09-02-2019, 04:53 PM

I made about $750 each of the summer months and made $522 in August (I started back to school August 7). My goal during the school year is $450 a month. I teach 6:00 and 6:30 before school but not every day. Then i usually do a couple on Friday and Saturday nights at like 9 and 9:30. Saturday and Sunday mornings I do like 3 classes in between like 7:00-9:30.

I could have opened up more slots and made more money but chose not to. Itís the easiest job that I have ever loved. The kids are so, so cute. I started in April and started slowly to get used to it. Then may, June and July were great.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

momabaarjo

Old 09-03-2019, 10:51 AM

I have taught for VIPKID now for almost 2 years and I love it...but things to be aware of:

1. The hiring process is lengthly and can be quite intimidating...even for seasoned teachers from the classroom...which often can hinder you because they have set things they want to see. I suggest watching all the getting hired videos you can on youtube and pick pieces from all the videos to use. Don't be discouraged if they ask you to do several mock classes before hiring.

2. You do not have to sign any committments at all. You can book as many classes as you can or as few classes. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TEACH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. I teach each weekday morning from 4 am to 6:30 am before I leave for school. I am blessed to only have a middle schooler left at home. I generally teach a split shift on the weekends... 12 to 3 am and then 5 to 8 am at least once a weekend or just the morning hours. I make around $1500 a month. In August I made $2500 because I had some major bills come up...kids in China were not back in school yet so I worked my weekend schedule as much as I could plus going back to my own classroom. I made $2000 in July even after taking 10 days off for a Disney Cruise paid by the extra VIPKID paycheck.

3. Your pay is not based on your experience, number of years taught or degree. It is only based on your initial interview and what you put down on paper for your resume. Highlight ESL as much as possible. My base started at $8.50 and with incentives I make $10.50 to $12.50 per class...or around $21-$25 an hour...not bad at all and I don't have to leave the house! I can also make a little more if I have trial classes and they sign up for the company.

4. You are not guaranteed any bookings...for most people they bookings come slowly and it might take months to get booked. I was lucky was was booked my first day I was hired. I was also willing for the first couple of months to open every open booking slot all weekend long until I became fully booked. It was HARD, but you have to get yourself out there.

5. It is truly the easiest and most fun teaching that I have ever done. You just need a few props (raid a child's toy box) and go...you do not plan anything you deliver the content that is on the slide for 25 minutes and then write feedback to parents.

6. Stay away from FB company page...the teachers there are whiners and complain about anything and everything...you are private contractor for a foriegn country...YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING, so learn that lesson right of the bat and you will be good. Too many think they can dictate to a company like an employee...nope you are contractor, they don't owe you anything. Personally, I have no complaints at all and the pay that I am getting is so worth it.

PM if you want to know anything more...and no, I do not recruit for the company...not something I am interested in nor do I want to do.
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 09-03-2019, 04:17 PM

I teach for their competitors DadaAbc, PalFish, and UUAbc. Dada is pretty good because the company assigns you students so you donít have to market yourself as much. It does not take as long to get students.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote