Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Stroller opinions

>

twin2

Stroller opinions
Old 09-29-2019, 11:49 AM

My son and daughter in law will be here this winter with our one year old grandson. We will be all over, especially walking through DC checking out the museums. They have a very nice stroller at home in Tokyo. It is one with three large wheels and a storage area under the seat. It also has a plastic thing they wrap around the stroller in bad weather to protect the baby.

For one week in January, would it be horrible to provide them with a covered umbrella stroller rather than what they are used to? Be honest. It's been a long time since we had our babies and only ever had an umbrella stroller.

We are also planning to buy a car seat that grows with the child for an average of ten years, hoping that it will feel like a good investment since we can use it each year or two when they visit.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-29-2019, 11:53 AM

Are you sure they are not bringing their stroller? Usually you can check that at the gate.

If not, for just one week I would think an umbrella stroller will be fine. It will need to be big enough to accommodate a child all bundled up in January in DC, and parents will need to carry diaper bags, etc, instead of storing it in the stroller as they are used to.

But if I were them, I'd check into gate checking their own stroller, since it sounds very durable and comfortable! Plus it has storage, which is awesome when you have kids.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 09-29-2019, 12:12 PM

They also might be able to rent one for their stay??
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 09-29-2019, 12:21 PM

When my children were small, I checked my stroller at the gate. That may be the best option. In my opinion, umbrella strollers were a pain to use, but it would certainly be sufficient for a short visit.
FancyFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Quack!

Strollers
Old 09-29-2019, 12:31 PM

From my own experience with strollers, I found that the handles to the covered umbrella strollers were too low for me to walk comfortably. If they don't bring their own, I would visit a children's consignment shop and get a better quality stroller.

Quack! is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-29-2019, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the opinions. I didn't think about having them check a stroller on the plane. That's a great idea, then they won't have to be inconvenienced by using less than what they have at home. It's going to be an exhausting week especially with the long flight time. The last thing we need is to carry stuff they would normally put in a stroller.
Signout

Signout

Old 09-29-2019, 02:40 PM

Id ask them what theyd like to do. Just as a thought though, an umbrella stroller is significantly easier if youre using public transportation and also in crowded museums. Ive actually done exactly what youre describing - visiting family in DC for a week with a one year old. I was initially worried about borrowing an umbrella stroller for many of the reasons youre describing, but it ended up being perfect. Yes, its a bit less comfortable to push than my usual stroller. But it was wonderful for getting up and down stairs, on and off the subway, navigating crowded museums, etc. When I travel now, I only bring an umbrella stroller because its so much easier with public transportation.

Id ask them - you can provide an umbrella stroller, or are they going to gate check their usual stroller? See what they want to do.

Paddlegurl

Old 09-29-2019, 03:21 PM

I would agree that they might want to gate check their own stroller, especially if they have large airports to navigate. If you do decide to purchase one, I would suggest looking on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, as you can often find high end strollers in good shape at reasonable prices. If you want to go with an umbrella stroller (perhaps if trunk space is going to be limited) I'd suggest this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant...s%2C191&sr=8-2

It folds compactly and is lightweight, but is sturdier and more comfortable to push than a cheap umbrella stroller. We've used it as our primary stroller for quite a while.

As far as a car seat, if you're open to suggestions there, I'd suggest the Graco 4ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-4Ever-D...s%2C194&sr=8-5

From everything I've read, it's the only seat that works well for most cars and most kids at every stage. It's on the pricey side but you have some time to watch for sales. Alternately, you could get a cheaper seat that will last a while rear and forward facing, and then get a cheap booster seat when he's ready. Something like this is often recommended;
https://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-SureR...s%2C184&sr=8-1
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-29-2019, 03:26 PM

Any chance you could borrow a stroller for the week? Maybe from a friend with grandkids, or someone with a child who is getting too big for his/her stroller? Worth asking around.

I do think they will be happiest if they can check their own stroller.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-29-2019, 05:48 PM

You all are so helpful!

I took pictures of the stroller and sent them to my son. I asked that they look at similar strollers in the stores and decide what they wanted to do. I listed what I feel are the cons. He said it might be nice to use a lightweight stroller for the trip but he and his wife will talk about it. They just aren't sure if they want to check their stroller. I think they are worried about it getting lost or damaged. They rely on their stroller so much in Tokyo since they walk or ride the train everywhere.

I'm beginning to think it might be good to have both a covered umbrella stroller one that is a little nicer, and they can decide which to use for each outing. I'm worried about the DC trip. A smaller stroller will make it easier to get around in a crowded space, but a larger stroller will be more comfortable for the baby. The rest of our outings the umbrella stroller might be fine. That said maybe I can borrow a stroller for the DC trip, and use the lightweight stroller the rest of the time.

I can't believe we are planning for their time here already!