Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Power shut off in CA

>

Janylynne

Power shut off in CA
Old 10-08-2019, 06:42 PM

So, PG&E plans to maybe preemptively turn off power tonight. It might be out for 48+ hours. It could affect 800,000 customers.

It will hit hardest in Butte country (site of last yearís Campfire that destroyed Paradise.) I sure that people still living there in Paradise and area bought generatorsó they need them to keep the water filtration machines going to clean the water that is still bad from the fire. Paradise schools are already closed for the week, just in case. Plus other areas in the Sierra Nevadas, wine country north of SF, and areas of Oakland and San Jose will be affected.

I doubt we will be really affected in San Jose area, but I stocked up on granola bars and cans of soup and matches and two fresh bottles of wine to add to my collection. I also filled my car with gas, and got some extra cash. And Iím charging my phone.

Last weekend at the grocery store, my DH also stocked up on soup without telling me, so we have plenty!

I doubt my school will be closed, but you never know.

Seems odd to think no power might become the new normal in some areas of CA. Apple and Google are in this area, too, but I bet they have their own power sources for emergencies.

Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 10-08-2019, 07:24 PM

I was just reading about the power shutdowns this morning. My county was mentioned.....guess I'd better check further to see if our power will be shut off! Always good to be prepared!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 PM

The worst part is the conflicting info. My home and school are not set for power outages. But Iím really close to the areas that are flagged. It will take days to inspect the lines after the wind storm so the power can be restored. Some people may go 5 days without power. Yikes!
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 PM

Iím sorry for you. I hate power outages. I was in an affected area, Contra Costa, until 1.5 years ago. Glad itís not me, but I do feel for you.

While Iím whining about it, Iíll add I hate what the fires did to my homeownersí insurance.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

tryingtoteach

Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 PM

Luckily tomorrow is Yom Kippur so my husband is fasting. I cant because baby is still nursing. We have enough food for thur and will then hit the road if it is still out south CA

tryingtoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 10-09-2019, 02:10 AM

Why power is being shut off? What have I missed?
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 10-09-2019, 03:48 AM

The Pleasanton police had the best take on the possible power outages

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7new...viral/5604128/
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-09-2019, 05:40 AM

For bandmom:
Quote:
More than 513,000 Northern California homes and businesses went dark Wednesday in the first phase of a Public Safety Power Shutoff aimed at curbing wildfire risks amid high winds.

Another 234,000 Pacific Gas and Electric Co. customers will lose power at noon California time, and 42,000 customers in the southernmost areas of the company's reach could also go dark, the company said.

The precautionary shutdown is expected to last through most of Thursday, and some municipalities could be without power longer as the utility ramps back up after the winds abate.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Southern CA
Old 10-09-2019, 06:12 AM

This morning I saw a notice that our utilities company will do the same in our county due to the Santa Ana winds and the heightened fire danger. The areas that they are targeting have had serious fires in the past. I hope the people there are prepared and have generators and coolers to store their cold/frozen foods.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 10-09-2019, 06:16 AM

Interesting!

No electricity for periods of time is exactly what people go through repeatedly after hurricanes!

LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

no power
Old 10-09-2019, 07:32 AM

So glad that Cal P&E is being proactive during the Santa Anas - no doubt it was a tough decision.

Of course teachers will turn it into a lesson/activity similar to turning off TVs and screens on Earth Day!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

power outages
Old 10-09-2019, 01:42 PM

This really upsets me. Customers have been paying crazy rates for a long time and I don't think it's too much to expect that PG&E maintain their lines and make sure vegetation is cut back to prevent a wildfire. This should not be the new normal. It will only be the new normal if we allow them to make it the new normal.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Pg&e
Old 10-09-2019, 08:03 PM

First-loved Pleasanton PDís post, that was hilarious. PG&E is screwed up, declaring bankruptcy but giving executives huge bonuses!??! Our area was supposed to see lower rates for Electrical as a new solar company is providing it, yet bills for a lot of people doubled.

I find it especially bad, one of the districts that has majority low income students had no school today or tomorrow, because a couple of schools were in the potential shut off zone. Those kids are now going to be left home alone or patents will have to take off work at the last minute. Also it is 2 days of no free breakfast and lunch. Worse is the staff had to report. I worked in the district and have thought about contacting former colleagues to see what they did.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 10-09-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
two fresh bottles of wine to add to my collection.
I thought I was bad for thinking about stocking up on wine I walked through the wine aile and thought...hhmmmm it is important to manage stress and stay calm in the face of disaters ya know.

I did everything else that was suggested-they are now saying power outages could last 5-7 days

I have some cash, and a full tank of gas. Electronics and additional battery packs are charged up. I checked meds-we should have plenty. I made sure I have 2 -5 gallon water jugs filled (we have a well so no power means no water.) I made sure we have 7 days of shelf stable foods planned out at meals with plenty of snacks. Pantry foods are mostly carb/sugar/salt loaded crap so my son was thrilled when he saw what was in the bags . We have a gas stove so we can still heat up foods. I filled a bunch of empty water bottles and put them in the freezer (this was the tip to help keep freezer foods frozen longer after the power goes out). Ice chest is ready for if we need it past 48 hours. Everybody had to wash their hair. I have some cleaning cloths if we need to freshen up sans showers for a few days. Laundry is caught up. Plenty of candles (never did get those lanterns though). I also filled 2 buckets with water and left them on the porch-these will be for daily mandatory toilet flushes-you have to flush at least once or twice a day-eeeewwww. I went out and bought 2 new books for each of us and new deck of cards. We are as ready as we will ever be I guess.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 10-10-2019, 03:06 AM

I live in hurricane country...

I would suggest filling your bathtub(s) with water and the washing machine can be used as a freezer and itís easy to drain.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

eeza
Old 10-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Customers have been paying crazy rates for a long time and I don't think it's too much to expect that PG&E maintain their lines and make sure vegetation is cut back to prevent a wildfire. This should not be the new normal. It will only be the new normal if we allow them to make it the new normal.
I agree. They had lawsuits because their lack of maintenance caused the fires (at least in here SoCal), and now they've decided they'll just shut everything down rather than do regular maintenance. This is basically the utility companies thumbing their noses at their customers.

I hadn't thought about school closures until rachelmpd mentioned it. I also wonder what will happen with grocery stores, gas stations, banks, ATMs, businesses, tech and bio companies, etc.
I remember the great 2011 Southwest Blackout, which affected a huge swath of SoCal and Arizona and lasted a day, during which people couldn't get gas because the pumps run on electricity, banks closed, ATMs didn't function, grocery stores that didn't have generators lost a lot of their frozen/refrigerated inventory, etc. And that was just a one-day power outage. The utilities companies are threatening to turn off the power for up to 5 days. This is going to cost the CA economy billions of dollars.

I bet there is going to be a run on generators.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

power outages
Old 10-10-2019, 05:59 PM

cvt, I was reading that many people with electric cars are wondering how they will charge their vehicles if the power goes out. You're right, this IS going to put a heavy burden on the economy.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-10-2019, 08:28 PM

My sister lives near Gilroy and she was without power for awhile. As soon as it went out a gang of three people,father and two daughters,ran around and vandalized cars. An off duty cop apprehended them very quickly. The cop figured this would happen during the well publicized outage . Smart man.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Impact
Old 10-10-2019, 09:31 PM

Not sure if more than one district was off, but the one was off for two days. Several community centers, libraries and colleges were also closed. It did get windy, but not bad here. Not sure in the hills if it was bad enough to warrant the outages.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote