The VENT

Keeping myself safe during pregnancy

>

signedout

signedout

Keeping myself safe during pregnancy
Old 10-20-2019, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Surprise! I'm about 8-9 weeks pregnant after years of infertility and being told getting pregnant would most likely never happen. However, this is also the worst year I've ever had in my 9 years of teaching. With additions of new staff in the front office, the quality of discipline has gone way down. There is an alarming number of staff members getting hit by students this year (me being one of them, but I know my rights and will file a police report).

When I go to my doctor this week, I will find out if this pregnancy is viable. What can he excuse me out of at school? Can he write a "no contact" note?

Singvogel

Don't know legal parameters of disability
Old 10-20-2019, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know if the doctor could write that type of note. The real question is- What would actually be helpful? We know that out of control children won't refrain from violent behaviors because of a doctor's directive.

If you have a high risk pregnancy, I think you should check into disability.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 10-20-2019, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hope that everything goes well for you.

I'm not sure how a doctor's note would prevent a student from hitting a teacher. If it were that simple, none of us would ever be hit.

I would think that the sorts of things the doctor could reasonably request would (if needed) be things such as providing for bathroom breaks, allowing you to sit, rather than stand, during instruction, not lifting more than (XX) pounds, key to the elevator, snacks as needed, close parking spot, or intermittent FMLA to allow for medical appointments or rest.

Here's hoping that, despite the infertility issues, that your actual pregnancy is problem-free.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

pregnancy
Old 10-21-2019, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm wondering if with the doctor's note that students who are physically violent could be moved out of your room and into a teammate's room. There's no reason you should have to risk your baby because of student behavior. Neither should you have to risk your livelihood. Good luck
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Old 10-21-2019, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I'm wondering if with the doctor's note that students who are physically violent could be moved out of your room and into a teammate's room. There's no reason you should have to risk your baby because of student behavior. Neither should you have to risk your livelihood. Good luck
I second this. Normally I think challenging kiddos should be shared equally between classes, but pregnancy is different. I would not be teaching a potentially violent student if I were pregnant- unless they had a one-to-one aide to intervene and protect you and bub.

ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

justdc5

Old 10-22-2019, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had complications with pregnancy.I was on half days. Maybe that could help.
justdc5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SummerRose

Similar situation
Old 10-22-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Iím in a similar situation this year with a violent student. Our experiences may be a little different because I work with special ed. Students and was told it just ďcomes with the jobĒ. I would recommend you document everything, keep a record and file complaints with your union, building principal and supervisor. If they continue to put you in harms way you have the legal right to sue as I am looking into. They have yet to move the student who continuously hits people including me and Iím 7 months pregnant. My doctor recommended a leave of absence until I give birth, but since I have to use my sick days for maternity leave and a leave of absence I canít do both. I need to get paid with this being my first baby. Good luck to you and congratulations on your pregnancy.
SummerRose is offline   Reply With Quote

driventoteach

Old 10-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Said a prayer
driventoteach is offline   Reply With Quote