Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Torn meniscus

>

GreyhoundGirl

Torn meniscus
Old 10-26-2019, 12:38 PM

My friend and her dr think she tore her meniscus and will probably need surgery. Has anyone had this and the surgery? What’s the recovery?

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Surgery
Old 10-26-2019, 12:58 PM

I had part of my meniscus removed about 4 years ago as well as arthritis clean up. Surgery was quick and I went home the same day. I stayed home from work about 14 working days. Full recovery in about three months. I don’t remember having any home health physical therapy, but I did physical therapy as an outpatient.

I now have two knee replacements. One is great. The one completed in June is not great. Many complications.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

torn meniscus is often a long recovery
Old 10-26-2019, 01:04 PM

DH is a physical therapist and he said depending on the extent of the tear, it can be a long recovery. He said the meniscus is not very vascular so it's slow to heal.

It all depends on the extent of the tear.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I had
Old 10-26-2019, 01:09 PM

part of my meniscus removed in the early 90's. The surgeon was one of the best in the Army.

My surgery was done by a scope, and they removed the flap that was torn up and then cleaned up my knee for arthritis as well. It took me about 6 months for complete healing. I completed all of the physical therapy as well. I was happy with the results for a long time.

I have injured that knee several times now, including during a fall on August 31st. This time healing is extremely slow and frustrating. I am significantly older though.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 10-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Tore the meniscus in my left knee about 10 years ago in my mid-50’s. Arthroscopic surgery followed by several weeks of physical therapy 3x a week. Loved the knee massages that were part of my PT. I had the surgery in mid-June and when I returned to work in mid-August I was good to go.

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

A positive experience...
Old 10-26-2019, 02:06 PM

One of my running coaches tore her meniscus several years ago when she was around 50. Within the year, she was back to distance running and competing in racing. Of course, she was in excellent physical shape prior to the injury, but it doesn't seem to have slowed her down any. I hope your friend has a successful surgery and an uncomplicated recovery.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 10-26-2019, 03:19 PM

My sister had a torn meniscus and she was recovered in a few days but did have to be careful to not injure it/ attend physical therapy for several weeks.

Now she’s totally fine. She occasionally gets pain in that knee but nothing like before! Pre surgery she used to walk up a flight of stairs then sit down and cry.

They did warn her she’ll likely get early arthritis bc she had the surgery done in her teens.

She swears someday she’ll need a knee replacement. She’s a runner and a dancer so I suppose it goes w the territory.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I tore mine along with everything else in the
Old 10-27-2019, 03:44 AM

knee. When I was 52, I tore my ACL, MCL, patellar tendon and meniscus all at once. They repaired everything except the meniscus. They only trimmed the torn edges of it. I have to be careful with it, but I can climb stairs and exercise. Can’t run or get down on my knees for long periods of time.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote