The VENT

Do not be an admin if....

>

kitekrazy

Do not be an admin if....
Old 11-02-2019, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Thinking the pay is better - more work and some don't get summer vacations

You've taught less than 10 years - like most of us you still have your head up your ass, every elder teacher will know how incompetent you really are.

Afraid of parents - "the target on your back is a myth". Parents really can't get you fired. Districts hate trying to hire admins. Incompetent ones outlast any teacher. If you send the parents the message it's your school and you will run the way you want enough of them back down. This will also depend on your district's support. I was so lucky to be in a situation where the principals were not afraid and also protective of the teachers. The district office gave support. It also helps not to live in the community you work.

Can't be humble - if you are in the under 10 years, head up your ass, look to older teachers for advice.

Like your office - you just want to deal with paper work, many of the best admins looked for opportunities to be with the kids, some of them like to do lunch duty, make themselves available to the students

Lazy in the chain of command - stop the "I don't want to deal it" by using the lame excuse by having teachers call the parent before dealing with you. Most parents are not accessible during the day but YOU are. Delayed consequences are a failure. Did you notice traffic cameras are seldom used?

Anyone have anything to add?

kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Here's one...
Old 11-02-2019, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Actually, here's two...

Do not be an administrator if you can't treat people fairly and equally. This means listen especially hard for the voices of the quieter ones on your staff. They have a lot to offer, and it shouldn't always be the squeaky wheel that is getting the grease. Make sure all of your teachers get equal opportunities to shine, not just your personal favorites or the ones with technological skills that you can delegate your work to and make you look good.

Don't be an administrator if you are not sensitive to the stress and pressure your staff is under. I realize a lot of this could be coming down from the superintendent in Central Office, but telling people you have to do these things too, just doesn't cut it. Teachers do not have their own secretarial staff to delegate to, and certainly can't shut their office doors to complete the work on the school's time.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Can't stand on your own two feet
Old 11-02-2019, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't be an administration if you like being popular, having a lot of friends, etc. Make sure you can stand on your two feet and not be buddy-buddy with the staff. It's lonely on the top. Make sure you can handle that loneliness. If you like to eat lunch in the lounge as a teacher, when you become a principal, DON'T. It makes it uncomfortable for teachers when you are there. Be independent and stand on your own two feet.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

This should be #1
Old 11-02-2019, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do not be an administrator if you have never been a teacher.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Administrator
Old 11-02-2019, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Totally agree with the ten year rule! Minimum. And learn to be kind. Put yourself in the shoes of a classroom teacher. Do not be a micromanager! Do not hide in your office. Be a helper not a critisizer.

juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

If...
Old 11-02-2019, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You are always on the lookout for a solution in search of a problem. You will quickly discover your hands are tied in response to many of the actual problems (discipline case students, demanding parents). Resist the temptation to respond by micro-managing the teachers to demonstrate your worth to your superiors.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 11-03-2019, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

IF you are afraid to say no. If you are afraid to CALL parents to tell them the truth. IF you are not willing to LISTEN.........IF you are afraid to make the HARD decisions.......
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 11-03-2019, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"Don't be an administration if you like being popular, having a lot of friends, etc. Make sure you can stand on your two feet and not be buddy-buddy with the staff. It's lonely on the top."

This is the result of promoting within. My last great principal was like this for about 2 years and I almost left. They gave her an assistant which happened to be her husband who was a retired admin. This helped so much. This is why promoting within is not a good thing.

Summerwillcom

If you are a
Old 11-03-2019, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

chicken -__ or micromanager.
I thought of another 1- moron

Last edited by Summerwillcom; 11-03-2019 at 04:35 PM..
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

Lol.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Almost all of them are afraid of parents. They rarely give any specific directives to leave themselves maximum flexibility to cave to parents.

Teaching experience is really important, I agree. I worked in a district headed by a superintendent who literally only had a semester of teaching experience. It still boggles my mind that this person thought they had any right to make decisions about a profession they knew nothing about.

Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 11-03-2019, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Totally agree, but I want to add that they need to be a teacher in that grade school! An elementary principal needs to have taught elementary, middle school needs to have taught middle school, etc... You can't understand what's involved until you have.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 11-03-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
My last P had never been a teacher and it showed. She drove that school into the ground. We actually had a visiting P from Germany who was totally confused when she found out our P had never taught a class. In Germany, they're required to have five years in the classroom before they can move to admin.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

2000Aggie

Texas
Old 11-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In Texas, principals need to have at least 2 years of classroom experience. Unfortunately, once they become principals they forget all about us teachers in the trenches. Iíve had at least 13 principals in my 25 year career, and common sense went out the window once they became administrators.:confu sed:
2000Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 11-04-2019, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

....if you think you can still teach in today's world just because years (and years) ago you were a stellar classroom teacher. It's so much different nowadays than when you were in front of a class.

I'd love to see you try to be a stellar teacher for one whole week in today's world. The popcorn I'd be eating while watching you flounder would taste amazing.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Haha!
Old 11-04-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I'd love to see you try to be a stellar teacher for one whole week in today's world. The popcorn I'd be eating while watching you flounder would taste amazing.
Haha! My old principal who thought she was all that always wanted to come in and help out, teach a lesson, etc. to give the teachers a break...nice of her, but to be honest, I was secretly thinking "Give her hell". It would been great to have popcorn and watching her try!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 11-09-2019, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

But if the kids can't give respect to the admin all is lost.