Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Need advice - artificial Christmas trees

>

Youthcantknow

Need advice - artificial Christmas trees
Old 11-07-2019, 03:54 AM

I grew up with an artificial tree and I remember my parents struggling to put that thing together every year. Ever since I married we've had a real tree. I'm finally ready to switch to an artificial tree but I want to know what to look for. I'm positive that I want it pre-lit - that's the main reason I want an artificial tree. What else should I be aware of? Is there a type that's easier to put together than other types? How does bulb life work? What about storage? Advice needed, please.

Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

msd2

msd2

Old 11-07-2019, 04:07 AM

I do know they now have LED lights on trees as well as pre-lit with older type bulbs. If you have any plug in ornaments, you have to be careful with which type of bulb you buy or add an old string of lights to the tree to plug in your older motion ornaments.

We had a pre-lit until it died. Most people I know end up having the lights die. Some after a year, some after a few, but they always die.

Prelit are easy to put up and take down most of the time. However, they are more disposable than unlit trees since their lights will go out (and not just where you can replace a bulb and get them on - I mean just outright become unfixable).

giver1940

We have an artificial tree
Old 11-07-2019, 05:11 AM

and we have a tree storage bag. We're fortunate that there's room in the garage for it. The tree is on a stand with wheels which is in the bag. We roll it into the house, unzip the bag, pull the bag down around the wheels (it's brown so it looks like the tree is in dirt, but we cover it with a tree skirt of some kind), decorate it and done. At the end of the season, we take off the decorations (this year it's going to be crystal drops like on chandeliers), pull the bag up, zip it and roll it back to the garage. Easy peasy. We don't take it apart, the lights stay on so it's simple.

We haven't had problems with the lights and we're going into our 4th year with the same tree. We don't have to take the tree apart at all. There's a pocket in the bag to store the remote for the lights or whatever is needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Chris...6FP06F60EAC8QM

Ours didn't come from Amazon; we bought it on sale for half price after Christmas at Dillard's.

Last edited by giver1940; 11-07-2019 at 05:44 AM..
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-07-2019, 05:53 AM

I haven't had anything but artificial trees. Never been a big issue putting them together. Most of mine have had all separate branches that I sorted by color first then put together from the bottom up. No big deal. My current one is in 2 parts and they just get stuck together then tweak the branches so they aren't all squished in. Even easier. It does take more space to store, but I just cover the box with a sheet and use it as a surface. .
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 11-07-2019, 05:53 AM

My first artificial tree had all of the branches coded with letters from the alphabet. So, before you started assembling you had to put all the a's together, b's together, etc. It took much longer than my most recent trees. Those trees come in 3 pieces - bottom, middle, and top. I put those together and then fluff up the branches. Super easy. We store ours in a tree bag, but not an upright one. I've never had an issue with the lights going out.

Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Old 11-07-2019, 06:09 AM

I think it will be easy to find a tree with lights. Initially, I did NOT want a tree with lights because I was worried about them going out. I couldn't find one that didn't have the lights already on it. So far, I like it, but a few of ours have gone out. This will be the 6th year with it. I also put on MANY strands of lights to complement the lights on the tree. I think it depends on how much light you like.

Ours has the three pieces that are just stacked on top of the other. That part is easy. I should get a tree bag like the others are talking about. Ours is still jammed back into the box it came in, but it barely fits and it really doesn't close.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Most of the prelit trees
Old 11-07-2019, 06:20 AM

now come in two or three pieces like a PP mentioned. You put them together and plug all the light together. They are kinda like a SciFi umbrella or sorts. You just fluff and decorate.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Vet3Teacher

Old 11-07-2019, 07:27 AM

I loooove my pre-lit! It's so much less work. Sometimes I will put extra on the tree if needed, but I love my pre lit tree! I get them at Walmart.
Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

tree
Old 11-07-2019, 08:04 AM

Ours is a pre-lit that is in three pieces. We store it in the basement with the top off. We just put it in a big plastic tree bag-the kind you get dispose of a real tree. The top goes in a trash bag-well marked lol. Set it the living room, adjust a few branches plug in the lights and decorate. We bought ours on sale at Hobby Lobby. If they aren't on sale you can always use the 40% off coupon form on-line.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Artificial tress
Old 11-07-2019, 08:11 AM

I got one for the same reason. I hated putting the lights on, plus the real ones were getting too expensive. Mine comes I three parts that just slide into each,other. It takes me about an hour to fluff out all the branches.

The better quality the tree, the longer the lights last. My first one was cheap, lights last 5 years. Current one is going strong with no problems.

We keep it in the box it came in and store it in garage.

Last year my DD bought one directly from Balsam Hill. Their show room is local. Now I want one....they really look real.

Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 11-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Ours has three pieces. Pop them together and then make adjustments to the branches (or just put a ton of ornaments on so you don't notice).
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 11-07-2019, 11:24 AM

We have a newer prelit tree. As others have said it is in three pieces. It is a large box that doesnít fit In our attic. ( no basements here) We have a spot for it in the garage. We also have a skinny tree that we have to put lights on it. I love both of them.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Tree.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 PM

I had quite a pickle when it came time to getting an artificial tree because I'm a Christmas decor nut (I don't have a ton of stuff, I just love what I have) but I'm also a cheap-o. I nearly had a heart attack when I started looking at prices.

I wound up purchasing my tree from Costco on-line during late summer two years ago. I asked for advice on PT before purchasing as well. I wound up getting a 3-piece tree with pre-lit LED lights. While I love it, I do wish I'd spent a bit more and got a tree with more lights.

My husband had to build a rack in the garage to store it. It is suspended from the ceiling, in the box it came with.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 11-07-2019, 02:25 PM

I advise against pre lit. The lights die. Itís much cheaper to buy new lights than to replace the tree. Also it is not going to fit in the box it came in. Buy a tree bag.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Thanks
Old 11-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Thank you all for the input! I think I'm going to look for a deal so I can buy a more expensive tree that will hopefully last awhile. I'll also keep my eyes open for a deal on a tree bag! We have a spare room that we can store it in (no basements in my neighborhood, either, crazy4catz). There's one at balsam hill - I'd never heard of them before - that's $350, which is about 6 years' worth of Christmas trees for me.....It might be worth it. DH might need some convincing..... You've all given me a great start, though!
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 11-07-2019, 06:14 PM

I just got an email ad for Michaels... big sale, up to 60% off all Christmas trees in store or online. Free shipping for all trees $49+.

Also Hobby Lobby's trees are 50% off. No coupon needed for either one.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I bought one from Balsam Hill.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:48 PM

My old tree died gave up the ghost last year, so I decided to check Balsam Hill last summer. They had a great sale, so I bought one from their website. I haven't taken it out of the box yet. I hope it looks nice. I've heard that Balsam Hill trees are beautiful.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-07-2019, 07:13 PM

I got mine from Walmart 8 years ago now (I remember, because it was my first year in my current city) and it still works. Of course I'll have to pull it out and check for this year- but up to this point the lights have worked. I will say I only got like a 4.5 foot one because I've lived in small spaces, and it's just me. But it cost like $25 and all you do to put together is snap three pieces together.

My parents have a really big one and the only annoying part is connecting the cords for the lights. The wires get buried in the tree and you have to connect like 6 things. Otherwise, it's also in 3 pieces that you just snap together. It does take a bit of time to fluff out the branches when you get it out.

We had a real tree growing up until my cat climbed in and knocked it over one year . Looking back at it I can't believe my parents ever put up with the mess and hassle of a real tree. The sap, needles everywhere, it drying out, dealing with the water, etc. etc. I would never even consider it.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

artificial tree
Old 11-07-2019, 09:06 PM

Our tree had three sections, and it was easy enough to stack the sections on top of each other. It was pre-lit, and it worked well for the first couple of years. The 4th of 5th year the top part wouldn't light up, so we added a string of lights that did not match the original lights. The year after that the bottom part burned out, so we added a string of lights to that part as well. The last straw was when the middle part wouldn't light up, and we had to add yet another string of lights. Although frustrating, it was also a great source of amusement and entertainment. We finally got rid of it.

My solution was to get a minimalist tree: an artificial leafless birch tree that has a few tiny LED lights.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote