Magnolia Room

Difficult bunch this year

>

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Difficult bunch this year
Old 09-25-2010, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I am using RC. I am in week 5 of the first six week and am trying to stick to the plan of when to introduce certain things like , hopes and dreams, rule creation, logical consequences, time out, interactive modeling for procedures and routines, guided discovery and academic choice. I am really doing well with my teacher language and speaking privately with kids who misbehave. (there are many this year). I really do love RC, but I am finding myself being non-RC in certain instances (my tone and facial expressions...I have even raised my voice several times). Not proud of this at all.

Oh I and I pointed my finger in a boy's face for making fun of a mentally handicapped child. I said, "How dare you?" With my finger in his face. "That child does not deserve to be made fun of and that is something I do NOT tolerate! You will be writing a note of apology to that child!" He said later on to a friend that "He can't even read, so why do I have to write that note?" UGh!!!! This instance of my impatience came after several weeks of reminding, reinforcing and keeping my cool about all of his daily shenanigans. (running, not doing work, being mean, hitting...) Here is another one I am not proud of at all. I felt like an old school teacher with glasses and a bun. Ugh....what are they doing to me? THis is NOT me to be like this...but there are so many of them who misbehave this year!

These kids are not used to non punitive consequences. I think they are taking advantage of the whole non punitive time out idea. And they are definitely thinking...all she does is remind us...we can act however we want!

I am constantly reminding and redirecting about 10 kids out of 23. It's mostly boys but there are two girls who struggle to behave as well. One girl ARGUES WITH EVERYONE ALL THE TIME. I do not know what to do with her. I have sent her to time out every day at least 3 times. I think it may be time for a problem solving conference.

When I give a direction to remain in seat for dismissal about 10 kids get up constantly. I have sent them to time out (only two kids can fit at time out at a time..it's a small space. I have sent them to a different work table. I have sent some to my chair to sit. I have reminded, reinforced and redirected like crazy. I am going to start giving dismissal work. Just a review sheet of some kind of busy work to keep them seated and quiet so they can hear their buses. This is ok to do, right? If I sent them to Time Out..there would be 10 of them at once in time out!!! I need 10 time out spots.

Also, my boys cannot just walk anywhere. They have to jump, run or hop. Some even roll around on the floor. Yesterday I had one boy do a superman flying roll over my couch! He lost the privilege of being able to sit on the couch for a week. I sent him to time out..he obviously needed to regain self control. I find him and several other boys on the floor constantly. (they are falling and tripping and being unsafe b/c they are always fooling around) They are sliding and hopping and thumping and just plain wild whenever we line up. I have interactive modeled, asked them to "show me how we line up safely" and they still pull this nonsense. WHAT DO I DO? This is my first year implementing RC from Day one. Last year I started in November. I see a difference in a lot of areas, but these boys are driving me nuts. HELP. Any suggestions, my RC friends?

Oh, I have been in constant contact with several parents too. Some of these kids are grounded for weeks and they still misbehave and they know I am going to call home! They are losing privileges at home as well at school...... What are they thinking?

Oh BTW--I teach 4th..but I feel like they act like 1st or second graders with the lack of self control in my room!!!!

Beagles

Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hope someone responds to this. I have a fourth grade class like this 5 years ago. It was a very hard year, so I know how you feel. Two of my kids went to a psychiatric hospital in fifth grade! I had to get a puppy so I had something to hug after teaching!

lovinlife10

I don't know what RC is
Old 09-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but I had a class like this a few years ago. I taught 3rd grade and it was so draining that I felt like I didn't want to be a teacher any more. I would go home and cry. Really!

Sometimes I think it is just the combination of personalities and they seem to feed off eachother. All I know was that I tried everything to get these particular students to behave. They did the same thing as your describing, such as jumping over the couch, rolling on the floor, hitting, saying mean things, etc. And just like you, I contacted parents, but in the long run the kids really didn't change. I took away privleges such as field trips or pep rallys, but they would just say they didn't care and didn't want to go anyway. I had the guidance counselor come and once a month and do a lessons on character. After behavior referrals, behavior contracts, and some suspensions, nothing lasting changed their actions. I was thankful when the year was finally over. My only consolation. Somehow it feels wrong to say that, but it was so true.

I do hope that you have some support such as another teacher where the child or children can go when you need a break. Maybe you should talk to the counselor or the principal, if you feel comfortable doing that.

I really feel for you. Hang in there!
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 09-29-2010, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

RC is Responsive Classroom. The board that we are on.

Thanks for the support everyone. Keep it coming! I need some strategies that jive with RC approach. What I am doing is NOT working.

sureads

Wow
Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

this sounds like my class. I have been enforcing the loss of privledges (sp?). If they have taken a break, completed a take a break form and still are causing problems they move to having a privledge taken away depending on what they have done. If it is a recess issue they stay in to make a plan to improve behavior. Classroom disruptions are things such as losing their classroom job for the day, computer time, not viewing Friday video,if we have one, instead I discuss with them and list better choices they could make. I never have them just sit, they are always doing something to reflect on their misbehavior and how to fix it.

stmforever

ditto
Old 09-30-2010, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's nice to hear other teachers with the same problems! I teach fourth and already feel frustration setting in and school has just begun. I am new to RC and love the morning meeting idea, but having a difficulte group takes all the fun out of it. I continue to model and discuss expectations every day all day long.

peggyteach

pep talk!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Tatum, you are giving it your all! You are using RC teacher language and you are doing your best at being consistent with the logical consequences (nobody is perfect with this!) If kids are not used to being spoken to this way and they are used to punishments, then I have found that it takes awhile for them to trust that the teacher really means it. As time marches on many will see that you are the real deal and you believe that they can learn how to behave in ways that work for them and for the class community. And you will be the model of patience and kindness that you expect from them.

It's always good to let kids know (PS conference) that you trust that they will do the right thing - it may take awhile, and you will be there to help them. They may not change their personalities, but they will know an adult who believes they can do better. In the meantime you will follow through with the loss of privilege or whatever you decide. Try to focus on the parts that you like - and build the relationship - talk to them about skateboarding, drawing, or whatever they are interested in whenever you can. Get to know them.

Remember the other 13 who are following the rules. Be sure you use their names out loud more often than you use the names of those who need more redirection. When I used that strategy with a rough class 2 years ago, it made a difference . It changed the tone of the room. And it gave me more energy too to keep interesting and active lessons coming!

A small thing I have done at dismissal - and it has been a playful and effective consequence: Typically when the bus is called, they just get up, put up their chair and leave. I see that as a privilege to just get up and go , right? so if they are out of their seat - exactly as you described - they lose the freedom to just get up when they hear their bus called. their name would go on a 'dismissal permission' list on the board for a couple of days(they even made a cute sign for it). Then they must raise their hand and ask permission to leave. I slowly call on them, they ask 'Mrs. P may I be dismissed? ' and they wait patiently for me to smile and say' Yes, you may'. When I introduced this and practiced it - it was actually fun - they all understood, and it has been very helpful to keep them in their seats - and I have had no one miss their bus. They sit and have conversations with each other - it is pleasant!

Keep up the good work - this sounds like an especially difficult group, and you are using the practices you have learned, ps conferences, you're in touch with parents, your heart is in the right place - so keep doing what you're doing.
Eat right, get enough sleep!
Peggy

mobleya

Wow!!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You DO have a tough group- hang in there!! Just know that what you're doing is best for kids I thought for sure you taught 1st grade from the behaviors you were describing (I teach 1st). What I've been doing for some of these behaviors (and I'm VERY new to RC, so this probably isn't right) is I say "Oh, it looks like you're having some trouble remembering what to do. Let's practice the right way". And then we practice, and practice. I started to think- am I going to be doing this until I'm blue in the face?? But hopefully at some point they'll get it.

I wonder if something like this would be helpful for your student who was teasing the mentally handicapped child (that would send me into a boil too!!)?? Something like "I see that you're having trouble speaking kindly about _____________. Maybe we should think of kind things to say and write them down. This would probably fall into your problem solving conference, but maybe you can find little pockets of time to handle some of them quickly and then move on??? Would this child's parents be on board to help brainstorm kind things to say at home? (I have a feeling probably not, but I don't know).

Tatum, please let us know what you're finding that works for you. I'm trying to get other teachers at my school on board and I know that the upper grade teachers have similar problems. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!
Fran Hall

Fran Hall

Counselor
Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Try 123 Magic with you kids.

Try talking as little as possible to stop bad behavior. Use: that's 1, that's 2, that's 3, take 5.

tatalufo

I feel your frustrations!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a challenging class as well. I teach K and this is only my 2nd year. I'm extremely discouraged right now and at a loss as to what to do. I don't have a mentor and I'm the only K teacher in our school. I only have 7 students but, it feels like 30 with three of them on IEP's. My student who challenges me every day is very unruly, disrespectful, disobedient, needs constant guidance and the list could go on. The bad part about it is that I have 2 other students who feed off on one another's behavior. So, when one gets started they are all 3 out of control. My behavior system doesn't work because the one student could care less about consequences. I have a stop light system in my classroom..........green All is good, yellow First warning, orange Lose a penny (my students receive 2 pennies everyday for "good" behavior and then on Thurs. we have a treasure box that they "purchase" items from) and red is a visit to the principal and the loss of all pennies. His exact words to me one day about losing all of his pennies were, "I don't care, my dad will buy me whatever I want" So, here lies the problem.........I am inconsistent with my behavior system because of this one student. I would be sending him to the principal EVERY day MULTIPLE times a day and I don't want to do that. I want to be able to have a positive encouraging affect on him and all I'm doing is turning into a teacher I do not want to be. I could really use some help in this area as well. It makes it very frustrating when my confidence level is just not where it should be and then to not feel very productive as it is in the classroom, I am questioning what I'm doing on a daily basis!!!! I don't want to be this discouraged only my 2nd year! HELP Oh, and I have asked several times to go and observe/visit another K classroom with no response from my super/prin. I recently had my 1st eval. for the school year and the only feedback I got from him was, "would you like to go visit another K classroom?" With nothing resulting from it!!!! He is to be making the arrangements for me but, nothing has come of it yet.