Help

Future Teachers

Starting student teaching!

>

Ll1301

Starting student teaching!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am starting student teaching in January and I don't really know what to expect! Do we get to observe and help for a few weeks, or do we jump right in and begin teaching in the first day? I'm nervous!

Ll1301 is offline   Reply With Quote

TC377

TC377

Just breath!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't worry! I was in your shoes a bit ago. You'll begin by observing for a couple of weeks depending on how your teacher feels things are going and then he/she will let you ease in. It wasn't a "dive right in/sink-or-swim" kind of thing.
One thing to remember is that teachers are also, if not more, worried about having a student teacher teach their class (even if they are co-teaching) because it's their room. Your teacher will not let you fly by the seat of your pants because it will damage you, her, and the little kiddos!

The key is to build a solid, open, honest relationship with your CT. That's the biggest difference I see between my peers without a solid relationship and myself. I trust my CT and she trusts me.

Do NOT be afraid to state your wants and needs! If you're uncomfortable with something, say it loud and clear! Good luck dear!

soHopeful

Oy
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That was me above. Why my username and pass did not work is beyond me. Feel free to PM me if you need any more tips!
soHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueLupine

Observation notes
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I started observing and teaching a few lessons this term (officially start student teaching in January also, but reached out to a teacher I know to get some extra practice before the real thing).
Some things that have helped me so far:
Make a list of areas you feel are weaknesses- mine were classroom management and assessment- share them with your guiding teacher, and make a template to take notes as you observe. Pay attention to tricks and techniques that you see or that they share with you.
Set up a tabbed notebook (I use a comp book because it fits in my purse, but a binder would be ideal) for different sections like differentiation, pedagogy, room arrangement, subject headings, etc.
Come in early and stay after class to help with prep work. You'll learn so much and have a chance to debrief your lessons.
Take advantage of opportunities to observe and teach in other classrooms, and make sure to be friendly with the non-teaching staff. Go outside with he students at recess (unless you are asked to stay in and help) to get to know them better. You can take notes when you get home.
Ask if your teacher will print out the kiddos photos and names for you to study during the first few days. And jump right in with giving assistance as the students are working independently once you have a sense of how you should respond.
Keep a list of materials that you'd like copies of; take lots of pictures.
Practice your lessons several times before delivery, submit the plans a week in advance for feedback, and have back-up ideas if things start to get out of control.
Sorry if any of that sounds stressful, I tend to like to be overly prepared and organized. Most of all, have fun with the class, know that you are there to learn, expect to make mistakes, and don't be afraid to ask questions when something doesn't make sense to you.
Good luck!
BlueLupine is offline   Reply With Quote
anxietygirl

anxietygirl

Oh you will do fine.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Exciting times. You will learn so much. Take advantage of your placement. Try to teach as long and as much as possible. Hopefully, your teacher will give up total control to you. From my experience, you will probably observe some and take on partial responsibility the first week. Then, start teaching the second week of placement. However, usually your university has certain suggestions for the cooperating teacher on how to ease you into it.

Wuzzy

Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Get in contact with your cooperating teacher. Try to get a book and strike up a professional relationship.

Typically your university will have a schedule of how much you teach when.

Good luck! Time flies and you'll enjoy it.
Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

ms-math

You'll do great
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Maybe ask your CT for a copy of her classroom management plan and expectations at the beginning so you are both on the same page. This helped me when I came in mid-year.
ms-math is offline   Reply With Quote

ndillman

I hear you!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am going to begin my official student teaching in a week. I was fortunate enough to spend the last few months in the same classroom twice a week, but I am still nervous for the official full-time teaching with observations and TPA requirements. I just wanted to let you know there are other newbie teachers out there and we feel ya!
ndillman is offline   Reply With Quote

starr_angel0

I finished mines!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just finished my first placement at an elementary school. It went well! I was nervous the first weeks especially when it came to behavior management but after awhile I got the hang of it. I'm sure by now you've already gotten the hang of it. One thing I've learned as a student teacher is you must be able to take constructive criticism. If your cooperating teacher or university supervisor gives you criticism, do some self reflection and maybe write down different ways things can be fixed. That is what I did! My cooperating teacher always tells me everything is trial and error. Teaching is not always going to be perfect even after several years of teaching. Everyone's teaching method is different so you find what works for you.
starr_angel0 is offline   Reply With Quote