Haas as anyone taken the FTCE Professional Exam yet? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Future Teachers

Haas as anyone taken the FTCE Professional Exam yet?

>

Jerebo

Has anyone taken the FTCE Professional Exam yet?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If so, what study guides and materials did you use to help you pass? I plan on taking this thing in March or April. I know that that the Professional Exam is implementing new competencies in Jan 2013 (which means a brand new exam), but a few recommendations would still be nice because I doubt that there will be new study guides/materials in the market that reflect the new competencies by the time I take this thing.

Also, if you have any recommendations for the FTCE Pre-K - 3rd exam, that would be great too!

Last edited by Jerebo; 12-08-2012 at 08:45 AM..
Jerebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Wuzzy

Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I took it about 2 years ago. It was common sense enough but I certainly studied (it's pricey to re-take it!).

I just went to Barnes and Noble and bought an FTCE Professional Exam study guide. I gave myself 2 weeks to read it and take the tests, then I scheduled the exam.

Since it's a new test, obviously buy a book with the new competencies in it and if you don't have to take it in January, wait for a few months to hear how it is from fellow students.

Best advice- don't stress!
Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sharmin

Sharmin

FTCE Professional ed exam
Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Did you take the new professional exam yet?

MissMe

It's different now
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I apologize in advance if this is discouraging - it isn't meant to be... but I took this in early February, and wished I had taken it two months earlier. Based on the comparison from what the test was several years ago, there is much more regarding technology. Also, there are quite a few questions on how to handle students who are impaired (sight, hearing, etc.) and which software programs are best to use with these students. I also felt like some of the answer choices are simply a matter of opinion - for instance, when asked which teaching method I would use for a class with a mixed level of learners, the choices included collaborative learning, peer/buddying pairing high chievers with low achievers, teaching to the mainstream, or small groups. Quite honestly, I'd implement a bit of all of that if I had a single class with this type of dynamic, so which answer was the right one? I've been teaching for 15 years, but had to recently re-do my certification, and if anything, it has made me appreciate that they seem to be raising the standards slightly for those who want to teach in Florida. If I hadn't passed and had to retake it, I'm not sure what I'd use to study. The information that was given on-line and on the sites that claim to have study guides and pre-tests really did nothing for me. I believe it was my teaching experience that got me through more than anything. I think if you've recently gone through school yourself, you're probably in a better position than I was to take it. Best of luck!
MissMe is offline   Reply With Quote
O-Dear

O-Dear

FTCE Professional Test 2013
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just took this test today and I am stunned. Nothing that they provided on the website in terms of practice questions helped. And I took a total of 78 practice questions between this year's updated test and the test they were using before... On the actual exam, there were 130 questions and you had 2.5 hours to complete it.

Honestly, it seemed to me that every answer for every question was a realistic possibility. Not to frighten anybody, but I swear that it seemed like I was guessing on everything. I am so distressed. They don't even give you your unofficial result after the test, so now I have to stress out for 3 to 4 weeks when they mail you your results... Are you kidding me?... It was a multiple choice test so the results could have been instantaneous... And mailing letters?... Really?.... In 2013?

I am so upset. And don't even bother buying any test prep guides. Trust me, they will not help because the questions they have now aren't in any book. I'm taking education courses in college right now and nothing I've been taught was helpful in this test. To make matters worse, I've been teaching for 3 years and that didn't even seem to help me.

I'm guessing that the reason they are not giving back the test results immediately is because they are trying to gather the results from all those that have taken the test to see what people have been scoring and then doing some sort of curve.

Sorry that none of what I said helps, but I'm just so upset that I didn't take it last year when everybody that took it told me that it was sooooo easy... Well FTCE Professional Test 2013 version certainly was not easy in my opinion. Not because the questions were hard, but because you couldn't eliminate any of the answer choices in what seemed to me most if not all of the damn questions and then make a guess.

2013 Question Example... You are outside with some 4th graders and you see 3 large dogs coming through an open gate at the back of the school property. After taking the kids in the classroom to safety, what should you do?... a) Call and inform the principal. b) Call animal control. c) Write up a security report at the office after school. d) Call a custodian to go close the gate.

Pre-2013 version question example... You are outside with some 4th graders and you see 3 large dog coming through an open gate at the back of the school property. What should you do? a) Take the children inside to safety. b) Run for your life. c) Take out a gun and shoot the dogs. d) Feed one of the kids to the dogs while the others escape.

Invitation

Invitation

Ftce
Old 07-30-2013, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

please help me Do you remember more questions from this test I have been taking this test 14 times and I cannot pass.. thank you for remind me the quesion about the dogs... please try to remember more questions please help me.
Dhizma

Dhizma

Ftce
Old 11-16-2013, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can someone please help me with the FTCE professional education exam i took it today and i didn't pass it . I took k-6 last week and passed it . I have studied for both so much i have no idea what else to do . What is killing me that i was so confident that i passed the professional education i thought it was easy and when i saw my results i couldn't believe it. Please any information on what should i study ? I used cliffsNotes book . I saw a lot of questions on assessment, ESOL students, critical thinking, and continuous development maybe one question on foundation of education.
Please help im going to take it again next month
Guest666999

Guest666999

FTCE Pro Ed
Old 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I myself have taken this test 7 times now and still fail. Very frustrating! The best score I received was a 195...Ugh! I agree as old study guides are not very helpful with the new test that came out last year. Very frustrating....I have emailed universities and I get from them is the same reply....find copies of old tests.
So back to reading as much as I can and go for round 8!
I was told there are close to 1000 questions that are used for the 120 questions for the test. My best help was going to proprofs and searching for FTCE Pro Ed....they have the latest test questions and or samples.
kggg

kggg

ftce
Old 05-01-2014, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So what would one choose as an answer as I got the same q and was stunned by just REALLY..is that even a valid q?
Struggle

Struggle

Still not passing
Old 06-11-2014, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I took it today for the 8th time and still NOT PASSING. I went over both the CliffsNotes and REA books! The worse case is if I don't pass it the 2nd or more time, I have to score 210 (75%) to pass it! What can I do? Can anyone help?

Cameronp81

Help on pro exam
Old 06-29-2014, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Does anyone know if the questions on the exam go in order of the competencies?
Cameronp81 is offline   Reply With Quote

DigitalDiva25

Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Struggle, err..what do you mean? If you don't pass it the 10th time, the passing score will be increased for you? I didn't know they do that.
DigitalDiva25 is offline   Reply With Quote