Help

Future Teachers

Dear teachers, What do I do?

>

sandycheeks

Dear teachers, What do I do?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The first semester of my senior year is finished and I only have one semester left until I graduate and become dually certified. Everyone keeps asking me what I'm doing next year in the fall. What DO I do? Should I begin to put my applications out there. Should I apply to the school I'm student teaching at? Or should I go to graduates school? I do not want to get a job and then have to go to grad school at the same time. I applied to NYU and the Teachers College of Columbia....What if I got accepted? Is it a good idea to go get my Masters and then search for a job?

What has everyone else done, what would be best?

sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote

ColoradoTeach

job/school
Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It can't hurt to also apply for jobs for next year and that might help in your decision. If you find a job you could take it, and if you don't you could do grad school. Grad schools usually let you defer your acceptance for a year, if you get in before you want to go. Do you like the school you student teach at? If you do, I would apply! I did grad school before teaching and it worked out well for me because then I didn't have to go to school and work. I know some schools don't want to hire people with masters though because they are more expensive..not sure how the schools in your areas are? If that's the case you could get hired somewhere and then do a masters. I am so jealous you are applying to The Teachers College! How amazing!!!
ColoradoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sadly, it is true that many districts hire the person without the MA because they are cheaper. I don't know what the job market is like around you and what you are certified to teach, but it is very hard to get a teaching job in most places. Next year you might be subbing- going to grad school would work with that.

I encourage you to apply and try to get a job for next year. You can start working on your Masters at some point. It doesn't have to be your first year.

Most people I know taught while working on their Masters- taking fewer classes during the school year and more during the summer. It takes longer to finish but it is doable.
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Letter
Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I student taught first semester my senior year, then finished up courses second semester. I applied for jobs during that time; however, I did not hold a license because I still hadn't graduated...I couldn't even apply for a license since I didn't hold a bachelor's degree. However, the dean of our education department wrote me a "letter of good standing." It basically I completed student teaching, passed all of my teaching tests, was getting As in all of my remaining classes, and would be fully recommended for licensure upon successful completion of the semester. When I applied for jobs, I put that letter in place of a license. I only applied to places with openings. I know districts say they keep your application for a year in case there are openings, but honestly, how do you know that for sure? Therefore, I just only applied to places with openings.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I got a job with an M.S., so it is possible, but it probably depends on your area. If you are in NY, don't you have to get a Masters within a certain number of years? I thought I read that somewhere. If that is true, then it might be totally different from many other areas.

The Teachers College...wow!

I'm a first year teacher and it would be really hard for me to also be working on a Masters right now. The first year is intense enough. Maybe apply to both schools and jobs and then make your decisions depending on how things shake out?

yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

Wuzzy

Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It really just depends on what YOU want to do. Are you the kind of person that should continue with school NOW before you get too out of the habit? If so, go to graduate school. Especially if you're able (it's prime time to go before you have kids, a job, etc).

Or, if you need/want the money or experience, apply! It can't hurt.

There are jobs out there. No stress- it will all work out.
Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

sandycheeks

Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for these words of wisdom. I will continue to go with the flow and see how things pan out. Merry Christmas all.
sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote