Help

Second Grade

1st day of 2nd grade!

>

lblau6680

1st day of 2nd grade!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to 2nd grade. I am coming from 4th. I have no clue what a second grader knows or doesn't know. Anyone have an idea of what I should do the 1st day of 2nd grade, or even the 1st week(s)????

lblau6680 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherJen76

Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Second grade is a wonderful grade to teach! Second graders can read when they come in at the beginning of the year (well, most of them!) and are so enthusiastic to learning!

For the first day, I usually do ice breaker activites (getting to know you) and teach routines and take a tour of the school. I also do "team building" activities so we bond together as a class!
TeacherJen76 is offline   Reply With Quote

drewdlebug

new to 2nd also
Old 07-28-2010, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I too feel clueless about where to begin teaching 2nd! Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated!
drewdlebug is offline   Reply With Quote

Dan

scroll down
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just a few messages and see the 8 responses to "What to teach the first week" to get some input on this.

Enjoy!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

BetterAliens

Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In a similar situation, but I've never began a year. My experience has been stepping in as long-term sub in the past, and these jobs were always mid-year.

As the year is approaching, I'm anxious because of the importance of those first few weeks. Anyone have any advice? I'm confident in my classroom mgmt once things get going, but questioning how to really implement all these procedures and routines.

I'd love to hear a ice breaker or team building idea or two. Thanks!

BetterAliens is offline   Reply With Quote

blondieteach

Me too!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

OMG...me, too! I am coming from 4th into 2nd this year and worked 4 hours on lesson plans last night. I am totally lost. Good luck on your adventure. : )
blondieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

stretchberry

Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I came from the upper grades too. In some ways, the students are very similar, but, in others, they are very different. At the beginning of the year, they are very needy. They need lots of direction. They are able to do a whole lot less independently until later in the year.

I found Mandy Gregory's first day plans helpful. She came from fourth to second too. Here's the link if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.mandygregory.com/Back%20t...Lesson%20Plans

Good luck! You'll love second once you get used to it. The students are adorable--mostly.
stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote

randysgirl

2nd grade first day activities
Old 07-31-2010, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

First of all, I give the students time to unpack and then have a back to school fun packet on their desks. This helps to get them settled and it gives them something to work on the first few days of school if there is any down time. Then one of the first things that I do is a morning meeting. During the meeting I read the students The First Day Jitters book or I have a cute poem from Arthur who talks about how he is nervous on the first day of school. Then I give the students a chance to tell how they are feeling and they can ask questions if they need to. This tends to relax the students. I then give them all a puzzle piece to write their name on in a dark colored crayon and color in any way they want. Ahead of time, I write on a large piece of posterboard, "Don't be Puzzled ABout Second Grade You'll Fir Right In". Then I had cut out pieces of posterboard in odd shapes. I mark the back with a marker so the students know the correct side to color on. As the students finish, I then have them come to the back and try to assemble the puzzle on a piece of posterboard. Then I glue the pieces together when finished. This is a very interesting activity to do because you automatically see who is willing to work together, who is willing to work hard, and who would rather go back to their seats. Very fun. Then it is usually time for lunch. After lunch we work on a back to school booklet. The first few days go very fast!
randysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote