Help

Second Grade

(Library)Book Bags

>

chasey

(Library)Book Bags
Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you use book bags for Library centers or for the kids to take home? I was wondering how it worked? and what I would need to do to get started...maybe for next year!

chasey is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I use book bags
Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

with my third graders. I bought 25 cheap bags at Target. I numbered them #1-#25 with a permanent marker. I also put our school name, address, phone number and my name on each. I hope they will be returned if lost so I included this information.

I put two picture books in each of the bags.

Each Monday I give each student a new bag. They have to read one book and write a reading response by Friday. Then they turn in their reading response on Friday and return their book bag.

I model how to do a certain kind of reading response in class with a picture book read aloud. Then they do that same king of response with the book they read independently. We usually do the same kind of reading response for three or four weeks for practice.

I have parents sign an agreement that if their child loses a bag they will pay me ten dollars to replace the bag and two books. The books would have to be used ones from Half Price Books or maybe Goodwill.

I have only done this for the past year and a half. It has worked well. I think the students really benefit from this activity. It also gives me an easy reading grade each week. It also helps their writing skills.

Only one book bag has been lost in this period of time.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote