Help

Second Grade

100th day collections what to do

>

mduarte1027

100th day collections what to do
Old 01-20-2011, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I remember when I was younger we brought in collections of 100 things, but I don't remember what we did with them...any ideas? I would love to do it and am trying to add more fun into the classroom. Any other 100 activities would be great too.

mduarte1027 is offline   Reply With Quote

lookahead

Old 01-21-2011, 01:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can have the kids put them in groups for skp counting -- 2, 5, 10, 25, etc.

The kids can lay them out end to end and see who has the longest or shortest collection.

Weigh the collections and order them from heaviest to lightest.

I know it's not much, but hopefully it will get things started. Here's a question I have for everyone: Do your students typically bring collections of EXACTLY 100 things? When I've done this project in the past I've had SO many kids miscount their collections it's made the rest of the activities difficult. I'm always surprised to see that so many second graders do not count groups of 100 things accurately...
lookahead is offline   Reply With Quote

Malene

100 Projects
Old 01-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have my students make something at home with 100 of something. I have had children build houses with tongue depressers, make pictures with miniature marshmallows, or other candies. They have brought in a cape with 100 feathers on it, a mini quilt with 100 squares, and 100 pennies or stamps in a collection. One year a student brought 100 paper cranes on a mobile.
Malene is offline   Reply With Quote

zeddrulz

Yes!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My students bring projects from home that they made. I have had awesome projects like igloos out of 100 marshmallows,etc. Then we have other classes sign up and tour our room to check out our projects. I also take a picture of them with their project and glue it to a page that says something like Hooray! We made it to 100th Day! I put it into their portfolios for a keepsake.
zeddrulz is offline   Reply With Quote

janeycherry

question
Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So what do you do with the kids that don't bring a collection or a project to school? I teach in a very poor district and I am not sure if my students can bring in a 100 of something for their collections. Any suggestions on what we could do instead?

janeycherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Frogs are Fun

Old 01-23-2011, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I always make up a few extra collection bags (paper clips, cap erasers, pennies,etc). Students may borrow them if they forget to bring in a collection. That way everyone in the class has a bag of stuff to share.
Frogs are Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Buzzer

100 day
Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Read write think has a wonderful set of lessons that could help you with this. I don't have the link, but search the site.
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote

mduarte1027

thanks for the ideas
Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love the idea of the kids creating something at home, I will do that next year. I know some students won't bring anything in, but oh well, I am tired of having to pick up the slack for parents that don't care.
mduarte1027 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

100 Day activities
Old 02-06-2011, 01:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Before the days of " fidelity to the script" was mandated I loved enriching our math program with these activities:
1) symmetry lesson
-- divide the students in groups of 4. Give each group a piece of butcher paper ( the color of their choice) and they have to draw something that comes in a group of 100. The most popular of course is the centipede with 100 legs but I encourage them to be creative! Some that stand out was a sun with 100 rays, 100 stars in the galaxy, 100 leaves on a tree, 100 petals on a sunflower,100 cars in a parking lot. The students must plan together first how to divide up 100 amongst themselves. The best part about this lesson is that they have to organize ( legs on a centipede ) 50 on each side but they must be spread them apart symmetrically so that they create the mirror image on both halves. Can be challenging for 2nd. They come up with great little strategies how to count. I believe this originally came from Box It and Bag It math.

I have more ideas if anyone is interested--
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote