Help

ARCHIVE

Subjects and Predicates

>

MommyTN

Subjects and Predicates
Old 09-19-2007, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

AARRGGHH!!!! I'm pulling my hair out people! My little darlings CANNOT seem to get this concept. We've been on it for 2 weeks now and they still can't find the predicate or subject in a sentence. What's the deal? Am I that bad a teacher? I've tried everything I can think of and it's just not getting through. Are there any kind souls out there who could suggest something before I loose it here?

MommyTN is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Old 09-19-2007, 01:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No MommyTN,

You're not a bad teacher. They are not "bad" learners. It's just that the timing is wrong.

Last year I had a similar situation. I beat the subject/predicate thing into the ground with little success. Then I realized that their first grade "program" apparently did little writing, thus their familiarity with sentence structure was minimal. I was trying to teach a theoretical concept in a vaccum.

We started writing sentences, sentences, sentences. I modeled and modeled and modeled. Each time we wrote we color coded the "naming part" and the "action part." I used the terminology subject and predicate constantly. We would ask, "Who did what?" After a few weeks, I tried the subject/predicate lessons again. Not a problem. They had acquired the background that they needed to address the new learning.

Mommy, we often blame ourselves when our students don't learn what we are trying to teach. It is more constructive to try and figure out why they are not learning it.

AN ASIDE:
I have a ritual everyday. Before I leave school I sit down with a cup of tea, lock my classroom door, and deprogram. I actually make notes about what worked and what didn't work. If it didn't work I try to figure which component was lacking: teacher planning or execution, students' background or interest, lesson content. Most of the time it requires just a little tweaking. It takes no longer than 10 minutes. But the notes really help me get a running start the next day.

Good Luck,

Maddie
MaddieC is offline   Reply With Quote

wig

nouns and verbs?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If it is any consolation to you, we in the middle school tear our hair out over the same thing.

Do they know what a noun and verb is? I have never figured out why subject and predicate is taught before nouns and verbs. Even with fifth and sixth graders I have to spend time reviewing nouns and verbs before broaching subject and predicate. It took me several years before I came to that obvious conclusion. I am having much better success with it now.
wig is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Old 09-19-2007, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wig,

I think it is the whole to part concept of teaching. But you're right...sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

BTW, first grade teachers, please don't jump my case. I was talking about a specific situation; not first grade classrooms in general.

Maddie

MommyTN

thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets run completely crazy with this! They have learned nouns and verbs. I just can't get them to see this concept for some reason. Maybe they'll start to get it after we do some more writing. Thanks.

MommyTN is offline   Reply With Quote

MrChapp

Old 09-19-2007, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree-- after six years of teaching 2nd and 3rd, I have never been able to get them to learn subject and predicate. I don't think it's something they can totally grasp at that age. I also do not understand why we teach it before nouns and verbs. I finally decided that as long as I've gotten them to recognize that sentences HAVE a subject and predicate, I'm ok with it. At least they've got the background for when they reach the older grades and are able to better grasp it. I focus more on the parts of speech.
MrChapp is offline   Reply With Quote

MaddieC

Writing Sentences
Old 09-19-2007, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been thinking about this today. The only thing that makes sense to me is that we teach subject and predicate so that we can address complete sentences in writing. If they don't have an understanding of subject and predicate, they are clueless when you tell them they have an incomplete sentence.

The standards and grade level expectations have become more stringent. I am sure this applies to most second graders across the country... our second graders are required to be able to write a 5-sentence paragraph with a beginning sentence, a concluding sentence, and 3 detail sentences.

What do you all think?

Maddie

Cheresa

Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do human sentences with sentence strips. I use the who or what (noun) did what (verb Predicate...which ever....we use all the terms. A couple of students go up in front and hold the cards one card has the noun the other has the predicate and the entire class reads it. I always ask who or what???? Did what. It's the basic trunk of a sentence. I use a tree to add the parts when, where, how, why, etc.
Cheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
lands

lands

First grade: subject and predicate
Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At my school we teach subject and predicate in the first grade. First grade students have to know the concept of a complete sentence. And many do...it's the slower ones who have trouble. I'm trying to deveop a power point to "move" the two parts of a sentence in order that students can see that one part has to have the other part to make sense. I'm hoping if they can see one part "moving" into another, it will make more sense to them.