Help

National Board Certification

Social Studies - Entry 2

>

slooper

Social Studies - Entry 2
Old 10-06-2008, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am stuck on the types of ideas for social studies and community. I was thinking of using our Hooverville experience where students work together to build a shanty town. What are some of the types of entries that you guys have included.

slooper is offline   Reply With Quote

tampamom

Old 10-06-2008, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just stuck to my curriculum and integrated the components of community building. My suggestion is to not try to reinvent the wheel and teach what you would normally teach, just take it up a notch. I know that role playing and debating seem to be favorites to incorporate.
tampamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Einini

Agree with Tampamom
Old 10-06-2008, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Also, if you are certifying in early childhood, you will need to integrate art and a social skill.
Einini is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

I agree as well
Old 10-10-2008, 01:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

with both PPs - keeping it as simple as possible works the best. I actually had mine taped twice - as an idea I had did not work well at all but in viewing the tape I was able to tweak the lesson and add a new focus as well - resulting in an overall better video with still enough in the lesson to allow for reflection on what I could do to make it even better....remember it is all about what you are doing to help the students achieve and move forward....not the final product being perfect.....relax, reread the entry and think about what works best for you with your students.....it will work....I had a very rough class last year and both entries came out better than I ever thought they would........but then we will see the actual opinion when the scores come out next month or December......
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

lisakae2

Economics...
Old 10-11-2008, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm thinking about doing a unit on economics. Any do's and dont's I should be reminded of before I start???

lisakae2 is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

Check out the standards and
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

entry requirements at the National Board website....www.nbpts.org for the certificate you are working on...they are downloadable and can be print. Make two binders - one for standards - one for entries and include pockets to put information in as you begin working on your entries...the key question and issue with what ever you do - is what you are doing with the students impacting their learning and if so how???????????? IF no positive impact on student learning is seen or can be reflected upon in your writing as you complete your entries and accomplishment - then it will not score well. Hope that helps.

Last edited by benteach; 10-11-2008 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote