Can you catch back a cold you just had??? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Can you catch back a cold you just had???

>

TeacherLisa1st

Can you catch back a cold you just had???
Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I swear... I am sick AGAIN! Early this month I had a bad cold. Turned into and ear and sinus thing by the second week. That same week, hubby caught my cold and is now well. In the meantime, I went on antibiotics and just finished them 2 days ago. Was feeling good again, and then suddenly yesterday I kept sneezing and had a runny nose. Today I have (sorry to be gross - disgusting colored snot), runny nose, headache and my face is killing me! Could it be my sinus infection never completely went away? Or is the cold striking again?
This is miserable....I have never been sick for this long of a stretch. And in December I was sick with a cough for weeks as well. Another cold in January.

I'm starting to worry that I have some kind of illness that is weakening my immune system... Should I go back to the doctor. Sigh.

My hubby is sad because he keeps wanting to go out and do things with me and I keep getting sick. I feel bad.

Last edited by TeacherLisa1st; 02-22-2008 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: adding something.

hkinner

Old 02-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like your sinus infection never went away. I would go back to the doctor. I got one last year in Nov and it was back the next month only worse. I was on about four different antibiotics and they got stronger. Finally it went away in early March. It can never hurt to go back to the doctor.

mshelbyk

Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been sick 6 times since Oct., going on antibiotics 5 of those times. It SUCKS big time!!!!!!!
Typically when I get a flu shot (at the recommendation of an ENT Dr.), I only get sick once, but this year I've been just plain old miserable!

They said on the news the other day that the stains of the Flu that are going around this year are different than what was predicted. Therefore the serum in the Flu shot has been ineffective with many of the strains out there

How many more days till spring??????

tammynj

Been sick for one month!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Today I am just starting to feel better (with just two remaining symptons - a bad but intermittent cough and sore throat). It literally has been 4 weeks of being sick; it would seem to be almost gone, then, bam! I was worse than before.

I rarely go to the doctor, but after all this time, I thought that I'd better go. So I went last week and she said, you have a bad cold or a mild case of the flu. (No kidding!) She didn't give me anything for it at all! (This is why I never go to doctors!)

I think having today off (snow day) and then the rest of the weekend might help me finally recover.

I feel your (extended) pain!

thnordstrom

Sick for the last THREE weeks...
Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been sick for the last three weeks. I went back to the doctor yesterday and got some new antibiotics. I am finally feeling a little bit better. I understand how you feel.

K-Jeanne

allergies
Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a friend who has terrible allergies. She has been sick on and off all year. She has removed all of her plants at home, replaced carpet with tile, discussed with her allergist all of her problems. They couldn't seem to find out what the problem was. We were discussing mold. Her classroom has had mold in the past. The person in charge of maintance was saying there was no way there could be mold in the room. Our maintance person checked her ceiling tiles- moved one and found lots of mold. They ended up moving her out of her room, took care of the mold and placed new ceiling tiles in her room. She has not been sick since the mold has been removed.
Just a thought.

tia

viruses
Old 02-23-2008, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

from what i understand, you should not "catch back" a virus you've already had---your immune system should build up antibodies that recognize the virus and attack it immediately before you feel sick.

what probably happened is that you caught a different virus or a mutated version of the one you already had.

wash your hands like crazy and wipe down those things that you touch often.

feel better!

Carolyn

getting sick again
Old 02-23-2008, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It could be that you needed to take your antibiotic for a longer period of time. I know that my doctor put my son on antibiotics for a month once. He had a nasty infection.

Also, it seems that once you get sick, it is sometimes hard to get rid of it. I went through a winter like that once. I'd get rid of a cold, then I'd get another one the following month. I'd get rid of that cold, then I'd get another one the month after that. I don't know why that happened, but I did endure that one winter. It seemed as if I never got over it.

There could be some benefits to getting sick, though. I had a cold in December that I finally got rid of in January. Kids all around me have been sick, but I haven't been. Maybe I built up some immunity from my infection from December-January. There's also been a lot of flu in my school.

anna

throw out your toothbrushes
Old 02-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

get new toothbrushes and go see an ear,nose and throat doc. You probably need a scan of your sinuses. Hope you feel better soon.

MrChapp

Old 02-23-2008, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I suppose it's possible you could have caught another form of the same virus. Disinfect everything this time around and see if that helps.

It seems more likely you never completely got over your sinus infection. Did you finish your antibiotics? If you did, you may need something stronger or at least another round. I used to get sick all the time because as soon as I felt better I started back to life as usual. And for me, antibiotics usually make me feel better within 24 hours. I've learned that I pretty much need to take it easy through the whole cycle of antibiotics to really kick the infection completely.

tia

duh....
Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

said she who is NOT a "careful reader". skipped right over the part about your taking antibiotics. if your face is hurting (i hate that feeling!!! and feeling like a tooth is in pain when it's really not....) it definitely sounds like you have that sinus infection still.

there have been a few times i've been on amoxicillin (sp?) and it didn't quite take and had to be prescribed something STRONGER to zap it. (fyi: if you're on antibiotics, be eating that yogurt so you don't get the dreaded yeast infection!)

TeacherLisa1st

Old 02-24-2008, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks all! I've been on amoxicillen for 10 days (2x a day), but maybe that just didn't zap it....It kind of feels like a cold but with an additional headache and sinus pressure. Ugh. I am doing a little better today! I think I'm going to keep my appt with the ENT this weds. and find out what is going on. In the meantime, I went to the health food store and got a bunch of vitamins!! Maybe it is also too much stress and too little sleep...

And I got a new toothbrush!!