First Grade

Teacher Talking Too Much

>

TeacherBug08

Teacher Talking Too Much
Old 09-11-2013, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Fellow Teachers,
I teach in an urban district and my kiddos are excellent in the morning. Then in the afternoon they seem to forget the rules and are much more chatty. However, I have really been doing a lot of self reflection and I feel like I am talking waaaay too much. How do you teachers handle your afternoons? Do you plan a lot more hands on learning activities? What are some great engagement strategies that you do with your kids?

TeacherBug08 is offline   Reply With Quote

firstrfun

sluggish afternoons
Old 09-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My first graders haven't been able to concentrate on academics in the afternoon since school started a couple weeks ago. Perhaps they haven't built up the stamina from having off this summer, or the warm weather. I too, feel that I've been talking too much and trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip. I will try frequent 'Brain Breaks' to see if that improves focus.
firstrfun is offline   Reply With Quote

frizzle3

afternoon activities
Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My firsties are tired by the afternoon, too.
I plan some art projects (tie them to a book we have read or what we are studying in history/science).
-Extra time to explore the math activities and word work acitivites
-build with blocks and legos
-hands on project relating to science or history.

It is a long day for everyone after being off for the summer--I still miss my afternoon naps. :-)
frizzle3 is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeB83

Sooooo sleepy
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Especially with this heat (96 yesterday!), the kids have been antsy. And tired.

Our entire morning is reading for three hours, so as soon as we get back from lunch, we get started right away on math. We have Everyday Math, so it's a lot of games. Then they usually have a resource. Then a quick social studies lesson (discussion-reading-coloring) and a short religion lesson (prayer-song-reading-coloring). By then, it's 2:30 and we're taking the time to get backpacks, write down the homework and free read.

I talk way less to the whole group in the afternoon than I do to little groups. I'll let one group play while a smaller group gets a lesson from me. That makes the rest of them excited to see what I'm going to show them when it's their turn.
ReeB83 is offline   Reply With Quote

upperwests

since we've just started
Old 09-12-2013, 02:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

school this week, and as another pp wrote, it was 96 degrees yesterday in some areas........and my own hot flashes don't help, the children are exhausted, and have had it by 2:00, I let them "use the room".......in a "controlled" way. I put out baskets of pattern blocks, buttons, puzzles, art supplies etc. and let them do what kids do best......play, create, etc. It's a great way to observe their "natural" behavior, and listen to the conversations they are having during these activities. I feel I really get to know them much more when I step out of the way

upperwests is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiles23

Brain Breaks
Old 09-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Firstffun what kind of brain breaks do you do? I really need to try doing these with my class and I am looking for some good ideas but ones that when it is time to stop we can go right back to our work.
Smiles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

stephanie518

Brain breaks!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've been doing a bunch of brain breaks this year. My kids LOVE them (and I do too!). Some of my favorites came from googling "Responsive classroom energizers." We've been really into the robot rap--it takes just 3 minutes or so, gets you moving, and they think it's pretty funny by the end.
stephanie518 is offline   Reply With Quote