Help

ARCHIVE

Stepping stones

>

MDinOH

Stepping stones
Old 04-24-2010, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My educational assistant talked me into making stepping stones for Mother's day gifts. I bought the quickcrete today and the forms are at school. Has anyone made stepping stones before? My ea said that you don't do anything to the forms that the stone will come out okay. Just want to be sure before we make them.
TIA

MDinOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 04-24-2010, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Make one at home so you know exactly what to do when working with the kids.
Sounds like a lot of fun.
Peaches Pears is online now   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We made them in VBS.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't remember doing anything to the forms. In fact, we used recycled frozen dinner plates as forms because the forms were so expensive, and we wanted a lot of them. We just poured the concrete into the plates, and decorated the top after it started to set up. We put dragon tears and other jeweled things, and we used little letters that you smash into hardening concrete to write things in the concrete. Everyone loved them, and we had a great time.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Linda, a couple questions re stepping stones
Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Linda!
Reading about how you made the 'stepping stones' got me thinking we might try them. I've never done this before so I'm hoping you don't mind elaborating a bit more.

When you said 'frozen dinner plates' did you mean rectangular aluminum tins? (I don't know if they are still made from tin or not.) I was wondering if I could use plastic or foam trays? I don't know if the special type of concrete mix would peel off or not.

I think I understand about the decorative jewels you used, but I couldn't picture the types of letters you mentioned. Do you think the foam letters would be okay or should I look for something thicker so they could be pushed into the mixture? Suggestions for letters?

(I was going to send you a PM, but then I thought maybe others would like to know more specifics, too.)

Thanks to anyone who can help clarify!
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

kimsseven

Old 04-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have made them several times. I found directions online like this http://www.ehow.com/how_17931_make-stepping-stones.html

kimsseven is offline   Reply With Quote

ritabook2

stepping stones
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't know, but don't think foam letters will stick. You need something hard like stones, shells, etc. I found letters that are like stamps, except the raised part that would go into the concrete is much higher than a rubber stamp. They were plastic and you used them just like stamps without the ink! Look at the craft store where they sell the stepping stone kits and forms. I used a plastic form from a craft store, so I know plastic will work too. Don't remember if I sprayed it with anything, though.
ritabook2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

stepping stones
Old 04-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You might want the forms to be smaller rather than larger. They get quite heavy! My stepdaughter made us 4 stepping stones, and it was all she could do to bring the gift into our house. How are the students going to get them home?

My stepdaughter used pebbles of a darker color and filled in her son's handprint with the pebbles. It looks adorable. Kids can help you with bringing in pebbles, they'd love to collect!
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherski

We've made them for the last 6 years
Old 04-28-2010, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

and mom's LOVE them. We use foil pie pans, but my kids made them at their school with those sturdy plastic disposable plates. We have the kids put their handprint in the center & decorate a little around the perimeter with colorful aquarium gravel or glass beads. When they dry we paint the handprints with patio paint. We use paint pens to write student's names and the year. I just bought all our stuff today. We're making them on Friday so we can paint them next week.
teacherski is offline   Reply With Quote

firstrfun

stepping stones
Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've made them with our first graders for a couple years now. I used the Quick-crete (1 bag was less than 5.00 and did a class of 20) I think it's called. Having a couple parents to help and clean up is definitely recommended. You'll need a large container for the concrete, the metal tool for mixing, and I think it was a trolling tool to smooth the surface. You'll need mixture to be a little slurpy or the concrete will harden too quickly. The students put handprints (they wore disposible gloves and parents helped push their fingertips in), and decorated with jewels, keys, marbles, etc. The tiles took a few days to dry. We wrapped them in newspaper and tied them with thick yarn. The students were very proud and parents were pleased. Be sure to take pictures!
firstrfun is offline   Reply With Quote