Help

BusyBoard

What do you do in the summer?

>

amberlu

What do you do in the summer?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I always say I will plan for the WHOLE entire year in the summer I have gotten better each summer, but I have never planned the whole year. I also work in the summer so I don't always feel like planning. I'm just wondering what other teachers do in the summer/how much do you accomplish, and can you give me some organizing tips to get me motivated or started? Thanks!

amberlu is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Summer Projects
Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I assign myself a project each summer.

One summer it was to read all the books I could that would be appropriate for third graders. I was new to the grade level. I found some new titles to bring to my team.

Another summer I collected enough poems to read one a day to my class.

One summer I wrote a Shape of the Week program to help my students learn all the geometry vocabulary.

Another time I collected enough riddles for each day of the year.

It is always something I have an interest in and want to do.

Our principal also requires that we plan as a team for three days and do a team wide book study over the summer.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

it's after 1am, so apparently i don't sleep in the summer. i just started my planning tonight, but have only been out of school a little over a week.

i plan on mapping out my year, and starting from day one on the lesson planning. we'll see how far that gets me. i do a daily lesson plan for the whole class, but my individual needs that can change daily are handled in small groups, so i don't plan them in the summer.

as far as getting motivated to start, i just picked up my stuff and started. tonight i was able to map out my first 45 days for one grade level of reading (i teach two grades). i also typed out three whole lesson plans. lol

i am not working during the summer. we bought our first fixer upper last year, so some of my days will be spent on projects around the house.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

mathgirly

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I choose one piece of my teaching that needs revamped. I'm new to my grade level after 10 years of experience at a higher level...so it's been an adjustment. Last summer I revamped student notetaking. This summer I am in the process of revamping my bell-ringer routine. I always choose something that needs researched...I simply cannot dive in deep enough (at least to my degree of preference) during the year. After I finish my area that needs tweaked then I move on to lesson plans.

For me...it's the research phase of digging into forums, blogs, books, etc. that jumpstarts my motivation.

My motto: Whatever I accomplish is a step ahead from nothing!
mathgirly is offline   Reply With Quote

powellstarkey

my summer
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am first and for most going to clean up around the house and spend time with the little one. We have a lot going on this summer. My birthday, sons birthday, wedding anniversary, three weddings, and the list goes on and on.

I do like to search the web more and see whats out there and see what I want to try this school year. I really want to get my first days of school planned out well this summer. That is a big goal. I have been reading books strictly for me ( fun reading). I also read books that I can add to my classroom library.

I do projects as they come to mind.. I am been very loose this summer and a little more care free.

powellstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2tch81

Old 07-05-2011, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been very busy this year. I have been to the water park with DD just about every day. I also have visited family and traveled a bit

I am taking two courses during the summer, so that is taking my school work energy.

I work about 10 hours a day during the school year and usually a couple of saturdays during the year, so I am truly enjoying my summer.

I find it hard to work at home on school things, but with my DD going to visit family on her own in about 2 days, so I am sure will get more accomplished then.

I am just not in any rush!
luv2tch81 is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For the first few weeks of summer, I do absolutely nothing school related. I'm usually so ready for summer that by the time it gets here, school is the last thing I want to think about.

Usually about a month into summer, I'm ready to start planning. It usually involves just researching a lot, gathering ideas, and making notes. Nothing official. Like the PP said I try to focus on one or two areas that need beefing up. This summer I'm focusing on spelling and vocabulary. Also, I'm thinking more about organization as I'll have a student teacher in the fall and would like to be a good example for her.

One thing that helps me is that I keep a composition notebook as my idea notebook and when I have an idea for next school year or need to brainstorm, I write it in there that way all my ideas are together.

I too work, part-time at a stationery store so that helps keep my mind off school
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

theboydbunch

Old 07-06-2011, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I work.....on my tan
theboydbunch is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

A bit different for me this summer...
Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Usually, I spend my summer catching up on PT and doing "Mommy Camp" with my twin 9 year olds. A girlfriend (who is also a teacher) and I combine our efforts. It started about 5 years ago with my 2 and her daughter. She was looking for "playdates" to keep her busy. It started with once a week, graduated quickly to a few times a week that first summer.

The following year, a friend of ours was going through a tough time with her divorce (financially and emotionally) so we took her kids (another set of boy/girl twins).
About 2 years ago we took on another friend's 2 boys.

We go to the beach, bowl, go to the park, go to water parks, and a bunch of other "field trips". It is SO much fun! And they all have known each other since they were like 3 months old so they all get along really well.

Well....I had surgery in June (long story) and I need to spend the summer recouping at home...(YAWN...so bored) so DH and I put our kids in a local day camp. I miss my Mommy Camp!

The good news is...it gives me more time to catch up on PT.

I haven't been able to get on most of the school year (going through a lot of medical stuff) but now, hoping to get back into the swing of things.

Sorry for the long post....you can tell I'm stuck indoors
msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

Plan and Play
Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I do some of both all summer. I have tried to curriculum map out the year, but something always happens when we report back that challenges my planning. My goal is to do a rough map this year and do more generalized planning within the map. I also will fine tune my skills by reading teaching books on reading and writing this summer. I want to plan Science and Social Studies more carefully this year because I always feel rushed at the end of the year in those areas.

I will do a road trip across country, go camping with family, head for the beach a time or two, etc. and then collapse into the school year

mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

renielen

Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This summer I am working on Daily 5 and Cafe stuff. I also need to laminate some center stuff. During summer school, we started curriculum maps for math and reading. I need to finish them. So I am going to be pretty busy. Usually I don't do anything during the summer. I plan on doing something for at least an hour or so a day until the end of July and then, increase that time.
renielen is offline   Reply With Quote

amberlu

thanks!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It's nice to hear what everyone else is doing ,and to know I am on the right track. We all work really hard during the year so I KNOW we deserve some time off. I think I will plan on doing as much as possible and getting in some relaxing time. Off to the pool for now...I'll plan some tonight
amberlu is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldenGirl81

Center activities
Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am working on organizing my center materials. I have the Take It To Your Seat folder centers for reading and math that need to be fixed up/re-copied, and I bought a bunch of center/board game books that I need to start putting together. I am also trying to get my math centers and manipulatives organized kind of like Ladybug has done here: http://ladybugsteacherfiles.blogspot...anization.html
GoldenGirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote

lynned

Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I teach summer school in the morning, than I normally try to do things with the family in the afternoon. Visit family and little trips here and there. This year however with CC being implemented at our school ditrict in the fall. I'm doing a lot of reading and research.
lynned is offline   Reply With Quote