Help

BusyBoard

help w/ schedule pleez!

>

amberlu

help w/ schedule pleez!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have new teaching time on task times for each subject next year. The only thing is....I teach 4th and 5th grade. Can anyone come up with a creative way to fit everything in? I basically have from 8:30-11:30, and 1:15-2:30 as "teaching time". I personally need to fit in Reading, Writing Workshop, and Social Studies. I am going to have to do Social Studies and Reading together (cross curricular), but still not sure how to include BOTH grades? Any suggestions would be great! Here are the time on task times:

Reading 90 minutes per day=450 per week
Writing 45 minutes per day=225 per week
Social Studies 60 minutes per day=300 minutes per week

I may have to do whole class (both grades) writing workshop or something....I don't know. This is hard.

amberlu is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am a little bit confused as to what you are trying to do...Usually if you teach a combined grade then say 60 mins of Social would include 60 mins of social for both grades. Usually one group working with you and other doing something independent then vice versa.

So you could easily do

Reading from 8:30 - 10:00

10:00-11:30 Writing (that's even more than 40 mins)

and SS in the afternoon slot

Unless you are trying to plan for each grade separately, if so well that is near impossible you need to plan for them both to be on task for a subject for a period of time. You will drive yourself crazy to try and do each grade separately
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

amberlu

Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am trying to do each grade separately. I know...I am driving myself crazy! I teach Language Arts and Social Studies and the other teacher teaches Math and Science. Usually we just switch grades half way throughout the day. I teach 5th in morning, and 4th in the afternoon. We haven't had this time schedule in the past though. I'm just not seeing how I will fit it all in with these new times.
amberlu is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 07-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

IF you are switching grades from morning to afternoon, why even have the combo classes? I would either switch the kids so that are 4th in one room for the day and 5th in the other class OR treat the 4/5 combo that you have as a multiage classroom..where you would be teaching the kids the same subject at the same time. If you do mini lessons and groups this could work. Reading and Writing should be fine to leave the 4th and 5th graders together...Do a workshop approach for reading that way everyone stays reading at their level. For SS where they need to be separated, split and teach separately then have them go back and work independently then switch. Here is what I would do:

Reading-90 min --4th and 5th graders all at once if you must separate them do small groups.
*mini lesson-20 min
*guided practice-10 min
*independent reading-40 min (pull small groups and hold conferences)
*Sharing and reteaching or more groupings-20 min

WW- 45 min --all together
*mini lesson--10 min
*independent writing-30 min (conferences with individual kids at this time)
*sharing-5 min

SS-30min work with one group on learning material then give them somehting to work on...if kids finish early you could have centers and games for them do to or additional nonfiction books on your topic available for reading (your other group will need an activity to do)

after 30 min switch and teach the other group..

HTH

Kermit

Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have taught combo classes for the last several years. I have ALWAYS done both reader's and writer's workshop together.

I don't see why you can't do this, unless you rely upon a basal for each grade level.

It seems silly not to, when you'd be meeting with leveled groups anyway, and there is probably going to be overlap.

If you have separate social studies curriculum, then that makes sense to me. What do the other kids do while they are not with you?

Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote