Help

Special Education

I need help!!!

>

mrsh66

I need help!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach k-3 pullout. The majority of my kids are LD but I have a couple behavior and one autistic. I just recieved my third graders state test scores and I'm feeling really frustrated. The state of FL uses a 6 pt scale 1 being the lowest 6 the highest (3 being on grade level). Of my 7 third graders 3 scored level 1's. I've had them since 1st and just don't know what else to do. I at least want level 2's but the 1's kill me. I know there's not a magic wand but I at least want to feel like were making some progress.

mrsh66 is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

I think you need to consider
Old 05-28-2010, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the state test results as only one measurement of progress in the many you use. Some of my students did not make growth goals on this new computerized assessment that they take 3 times a year. I felt sucker punched that a stupid computerized test, which is NOT normed referenced to sped or ELL, printed out that my students did not met growth goals. However, I have come to my senses and refuse to allow an academic assessment nor will I allow the state tests results when they come to tell me that my students have not grown. My curriculum-based measurements, Brigance assessments, portfolios, data, and informal observations show that all my students have made significant progress in many areas, and just one of them is academic.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsh66

Old 05-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know I've got to get past it. I just want them to feel success. It's hard to feel like I'm being successful as a teacher when their grade level assessments come back so low. I realize they are all below grade level to begin with and that's why they are in my program. I just think I put to much in it emotionally and overestimate the growth they can make. I still want them to strive towards high expectations.
mrsh66 is offline   Reply With Quote