Special Education

qualification question

>

zookeeper3

qualification question
Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey all!

I have a question. I'm a third grade teacher. I've been working on getting a student to qualify for an IEP. We have started the RTI process this year and, let me tell you, that has not been fun. So, here's the deal. We met on this girl. It came out at the meeting that she may have a language processing issue, so we tested for that. She fell in the normal/average range. But it did come out she might have a memory issue. So the school psych tested for that. Turns out she has a "significant" memory issue. The school psych then said he didn't feel we needed to do anything else. He wanted to do intervention with lists and things and teach her how to deal with her memory issues. So, here's my question, can she qualify with just a memory issue? I have the data showing that she isn't learning and she isn't retaining. Her scores are in the same range as my other students who are on IEPs. Not that that means anything. Just giving more info. Anyway, can she qualify? And what would you guys do?
Thanks.
Zoo

zookeeper3 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Possibly
Old 05-30-2010, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

She needs a confirmed diagnosis, whether it's medical or all the paperwork is done for a Specific Learning Disability.

In our district though, she would most likely not qualify. Memory is not something you can remediate, but it is something that can be accommdoated through lists, checklists, and strategies.

IF a neuropsychological evaluation can be done to pinpoint a disability, then that would help. Don't know the situation, but we have a lot of hospitals around us that do these exams, but the wait list is long.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

rwinters

It would depend
Old 05-30-2010, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

on if there were academic concerns that would make the team think it was a learning disability. In my district she would not based on memory alone. The rules of different if you are looking at speech/language-has your SLP taken a look, they tend to have insight into language based disabilities andmay be able to point the team in a direction.
rwinters is offline   Reply With Quote