time and goals

>

confused

confused

time and goals
Old 06-04-2010, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just a question from a confused parent (I'm a teacher but not sped):
My kid has an IEP with time for writing (direct &indirect) but there is no writing goal. Last year he had indirect time for math but no math goal. He is behind in both subjects. I am confused -if there is time allotted should there not be a goal? Sped teacher just says 'I can do this'. Seems wrong to me.

peachyplum

I'm confused, too.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach special education. We are always told that whatever the student qualifies for--math, writing, reading, etc. then you need to create a goal for the student that way they also receive their accommodations in that area. Then the accommodations they receive in the classroom should match the accommodations they receive on state and district testing. I always create a math, writing, and reading goal for my students.

I'm not sure what indirect and direct means.

I hope I helped clarify some things for you. I hope your son gets what he needs.
peachyplum is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

indirect time
Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use my indirect time to create materials, modify classwork and assignments, collect data, meet with gen. ed. teachers etc. Some of my students require a lot of indirect time, others very little. Why would a student have an IEP without goals? How does the SPED teacher report on the progress?
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

teachersue

Old 06-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Your child should only have goals in his area of disability. If your child has discrepancy in his math ability (as shown by either assessment results or teacher documentation) then there should be a math goal. If your child doesn't have a math discrepancy, then no math goal. Same for writing and reading.

Just because a child has an IEP doesn't automatically mean he/she should have a goal in every core subject (reading, math, writing).

If your child is ADHD, then chances are he needs extra time due to focusing issues and that may be why he has extra time for writing, but no specific goal in the area.
teachersue is offline   Reply With Quote