Help

Special Education

R.T.I. Intervention as Resource

>

leslier

R.T.I. Intervention as Resource
Old 06-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school has a weak intervention program in that we have one part-time person for the whole school. So, what is starting to happen is that Resource is being used as THE Intervention. This adds to the caseload and requires additional data collection. I am told that this is common practice.

How many of you carry intervention students on a regular basis?

I understand that it is supposed to be a 3rd Tier intervention and last 9 weeks, but that's not what happens at our school. Recently, I was assigned a student that was struggling academically and she was put in with my neediest behavior kids because I was the only one teaching Wilson and they (R.T.I team) lacked any other research based program. It just was not an appropriate placement. The student did not have a problem with phonics.

leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

not here
Old 06-02-2010, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not a common practice in my district, thankfully. I have 23 kids on my caseload currently with two part time IA's. Almost half of my kids have either behavior plans or some type of behavior so that I have to provide supervision in the gen. ed. environs much of the time. I teach primary (K-4) so I get almost all the referrals. I do my own academic testing, scoring, and writing up. I barely have time in the day now to breathe, let alone keep data on general ed. kids.

Our title program doesn't seem to do intensive interventions either. I know they serve a lot of kids, but this needs to be one of the interventions. We were able to secure a part time interventionist (she is actually a sped teacher, working in title) with stimulus funds...who is great, but spread thin. Luckily, we are going to have her full time next year. Her role will be to work with kids before they are referred.

I feel terrible for special ed. teachers, already spread so thin, if they have to start being the interventionist as well. This actually makes me angry. How much more can we do?
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

We did it at our school last year
Old 06-02-2010, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but it was set up that way from the beginning. Expectations and responsibilities were set up then as well. Our SpEd numbers were declining fairly steadily so one SpEd teacher had a reduced caseload of 4--yes, you read that correctly...4 and she did the RTI intervention for gen ed the majority of the day. She was not the only one doing interventions though.

Through her work, the RTI team was better able to understand both RTI and SpEd data/progress, etc as well as eligibility issues. That I know of, only 2 kids were found eligible for SpEd through the RTI process. There were less frustrations within the gen ed population than many schools report.

It doesn't sound fair that they are dumping the RTI students on you with no other checks and balances in place. Also, finding the APPROPRIATE intervention is just as important as finding a research based one---someone is trying to pull a fast one there.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

sue81

Old 06-06-2010, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a full time intervention teacher for my district. Our resource teacher saw 1 student that was not on her special ed list this past year. She could not work with him in her class so they had to go to another room. Non-special ed kids aren't allowed to be in the room with special ed kids in my district. I didn't have room to add him and she had some extra time. This is the exception for our district though. None of the other special ed teacher had any RTI kids. I am not sure how they can put that child in your class when she doesn't need the phonics help. Doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't work on a referral here. We have to show the weakness and that we matched the intervention to it.
sue81 is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

Rti
Old 06-08-2010, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No one has mentioned the legality of this situation. It is illegal for a gen ed student to be serviced by a special ed teacher during special ed designated time. There is no legal presidence for reversed inclusion (bringing a gen ed student into a special ed setting)

grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

In our case, the teacher
Old 06-09-2010, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

had dual certification for gen ed (early childhood) and SpEd and changed "hats" after her SpEd caseload was served. Her day was split with an early lunch.

Letters home for her SpEd kids were signed with her name then Special Education Teacher or Casemanager. Letters home to her RtI students/parents were signed with her name then 'Early Interventionist.'

She used the same classroom and some of the same materials/recording forms but only were appropriate.

That's how we handled it.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote