Help

Special Education

MAE &/or ED/BD

>

Miller

MAE &/or ED/BD
Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got a call I will be teaching students who have emotional and/or behavioral issues. Any experience or advice, tidbits, encouragement, incentives....would be so helpful.

I taught almost the same this year but in junior high. This year I will be in elem I think grades 3-5, maybe grades 4-5. Thanks!

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Consistent
Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just be consistent with everything. Follow through. It should be similar to what you did before. You will get the feel for each child as you get to know them. Just document what you think the antecedent for each child is. That always helped me.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
agreed

agreed

Old 06-11-2010, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

teabreak took the words out of my mouth. Being clear and consistent with expectations and consequences helps the kids know what to expect and it helps you to keep from reacting emotionally in the moment. Also, the relationship between you and your students is going to be a big part of your teaching-- not so much "liking" you, but knowing they can count on you and trust you will give them a safe place and will cut down on behaviors.

grace slick

behavior
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I run such a room. It is a real challenge. Set up your rules and look at PBS by Brenda Sheurmann (sorry about spelling)as a method to control behavior. It takes extra time for set up but it make life a lot easier. Also, be extremely consistent with your procedures. I even made them visual including how to walk in the hall. It really made the difference

Last edited by grace slick; 06-11-2010 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: oops
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote