Need HELP with idea for Demo Lesson, 8:1:2 K-1 self contained - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Need HELP with idea for Demo Lesson, 8:1:2 K-1 self contained

>

mrsfrules

Need HELP with idea for Demo Lesson, 8:1:2 K-1 self contained
Old 06-11-2010, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HI there,

I have been working as a 4th grade coteacher for 2 years and my position is ending. I have a demo lesson this week in a self-contained K-1 class. I have not spoken to the classroom teacher, but spoke at length the the speech therapist. The students are mostly autistic and speech / language disabled. Their DRA levels range from A- 18. The lesson needs to be 15-20 minutes long, and I want to show them that I am knowledgeable in ABA practices, but can also create a lesson that will engage the small group. The principal is a big fan of the workshop model, and would like to see children prepared for this in possible future mainstreaming. The teacher works with the class in 3 different groups for reading, so if I could come up with a short poem or something to do whole class as shared reading (with lots of visuals) and then perhaps have 3 tiered activities to gove to the groups, it would work. At the outset, I could give the children charts with 3 boxes and give them stikers as each step of the lesson is completed: the listening, then shared reading, and then the independent work. This is just so far off my radar, I'm not sure what materials to use and what skills to work on. Any input would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated!

mrsfrules is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

demo lesson
Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

stay with the basics. Don't try to be over the top. Present a good basic lesson that incorporate good teaching principles. May sure you state the objective, then do a short teaching of the skill followed by guided practice and then independent practice don't forget to have closure. Incorporating ABA is just part of your guided practice. Good luck
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsfrules

Thank you
Old 06-11-2010, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thanks, your tips are halpful, but I am really looking for ideas of what exactly to teach. Do you have any ideas?
mrsfrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Java

Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Will you have a para working with you?
If you do, you could do two small groups. One group would work with you on one of the reading strategies. I think predicting is the easiest. You could use one of the "if you Give a pig..." books and talk about what will happen next and possibly incorporate some social skills into your lesson.
The other group could be doing their word work with picture or word sorts to study phonics or rhyming at their individual levels.
Like the PP said stick with the basics and try to keep it simple.
Java is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy3&paco

Old 06-12-2010, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

To bounce off the other post - I did a sequencing activity with If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. As I read the story, my para put the next item on a sticky note. Then I had sentence strips with "Then he will want a ___________________" I divided the sticky notes out and the kids help to put then in sequence. My group was self-contained 3-5. With the younger group you could use pictures.

mommy3&paco is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

ideas
Old 06-12-2010, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

real hits with principals are:
graphing---showing students how to go from picture graphs to bar graph after they sort the pictures
word work choose a sound most of the students know fairly well
guided reading lesson incorporating higher order thinking
writing involving webbing ideas then writing with younger ones you can use a pattern sentences- choose a book you enjoy that will lend itself to this and is age appropriate.
A social skill about the bes me I can be- use book I Like Me then the kids can write about what they like about themselves
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote