Help

Special Education

Change in Service Delivery

>

bootch

Change in Service Delivery
Old 06-21-2010, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I currently provide sped services through a pull-out program with students coming to the sped room for direct instruction in the core academic area(s) in which they qualify for services.

I recently found out that students are going to receive all direct instruction in the general classroom setting as a whole group. Then, all students of that specific grade level will move to 30 minutes of small group (grouped by ability) instruction/practice. This procedure will be followed for math and again for reading. I will be responsible for the "lowest" group - which may or may not include IEP students. The other groups will work with a general classroom teacher (for that grade level), a title math teacher and/or reading intervention teachers.

I'm not sure what to think about this plan or what to call it...and I'm looking for any advice, suggestions or input.

Thank you!

bootch is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

team decision
Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
I recently found out that students are going to receive all direct instruction in the general classroom setting as a whole group. Then, all students of that specific grade level will move to 30 minutes of small group (grouped by ability) instruction/practice.
Who told you that this would be happening? I'm assuming you are the sped teacher and casemanager of these students? Do these people who made these plans know that the service of the students with IEP's is an IEP TEAM (which includes parents) decision and not a gen ed scheduling decision?

Frankly, I don't see how this decision could be made across the board for all of your students. What do their IEPs say? You can't change services without changing the IEP. I'm not sure how many kids we are talking about, but I'm sure that there are some students who need more than 30 min of specially designed instruction and most of the students will need different types of instruction...this is usually difficult to do in a full group setting--and is not sounding like SDI. Good luck to you and hope to hear more from you. It makes me crazy when I see gen. ed. (I'm assuming here??) make the decisions for sped....although, legally they CAN'T do this without sped team input....and when parents get involved, this may not fly.
newspedteach is online now   Reply With Quote

bootch

Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for responding...
This is a new directive by my site administrator and she provided the information. I am a sped teacher and will share the caseload with the other sped teacher (that's very excited about this change) in my building. We were asked to hold IEP meetings asap to modify/amend current IEPs to reflect this change in services. It's being identified as a move toward "inclusion" or "co-teaching" - I don't think it falls under either category and I don't believe it will provide the LRE for the majority of our students.

Personally, I think this is an effort to solve an on-going issue between sped and general ed teachers in my building. One group getting frustrated and feeling that everyone isn't doing their job when there are portions of the day when they only have 2-4 students at a time and the other group getting frustrated with sped kids being excluded from celebrations and special activities with their peers (when appropriate). This way the students will never be away from the room to be excluded and sped teachers will spend the day going from one grade level to the next - working with same sized groups as everyone else.

My hope is that it won't fly. However, many of our parents are not very involved and often will not even attend meetings. So, I figured that it might be good to get some feedback, learn as much as I can and prepare to do my best with what I'm given.
bootch is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

principals
Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

in my experience--rarely know the sped laws. While they are our building/site supervisors, they are not our overall supervisors.

Sorry that the other sped teacher isn't going to be on the same page, but I would still be the advocate you need to be for your students. A principal can't just tell you to change all the IEP's to fit the schedule. That isn't how special ed. works. I would also notify parents and tell them (the ones you think this is true for, at least) that it isn't in the best interest for their students and that they will need to speak up.

What about your special ed. administrators at the district level? What are they saying? I would also talk to them...I'm sure you probably already have. What about the rest of your sped team? SLP? Psych? Will they get involved? I know mine sure would.

I know that this is not uncommon. Gen. Ed. does not understand Special Ed. and how it works. They look at the size of our groups (although sometimes the group sizes are TOO large) and think we are not working "as hard" as they are. It would help if your principal understood your job and the laws and if your team and the district admin would support you.

Good luck. I wouldn't give up. I would start with getting both district admin and your building sped team on board, if you haven't already. Then, let them help you discuss it with your principal...then, get parents involved if that doesn't work. I wish you good luck.
newspedteach is online now   Reply With Quote