Help

Special Education

Speech Question

>

ABCand123s

Speech Question
Old 07-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been working with a couple of little ones on speech issues. They are two and have a limited talking vocabulary. I've tried to google and read everything that I could find about activities to do with them. I was just hoping you all had some more suggestions, ideas or resources. TIA!!

ABCand123s is offline   Reply With Quote

Purple Purse

use play
Old 07-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Use motivating toys and do lots of turn taking using phrases like "my turn, your turn" and have the kids try to ask for a turn using gestures and words. If they are using one word use that word and add on one more. For example, if they use the word "more", encourage them to add on to it with one more word like "more bubbles" while you blow bubbles. You have to use what they got build on to that one word at a time. Another idea is with cars and you can play a game using phrases like "go car" and "stop car". Keep it fun and positive.
Purple Purse is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueAngel

speech
Old 07-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Expanding their sentence length is definitely something that will help. In addition, be sure to verbally identify everything in their environment, using baby sign language and words. Sometimes young children pick up on the sign first, then slowly work their way to words.

Also, have them repeat simple 2-3 word phrases by giving them choices. For example, if the child wants a cup of juice but only gestures, have him repeat "juice please" and say, "Do you want the blue cup or red cup?" "OK, you want the red cup." You can also do art activities where you have several steps and have them repeat each step "glue on", "2 white buttons", etc.

I am a speech therapist and I work with preschool children, so feel free to PM me for more ideas and/or websites.
BlueAngel is offline   Reply With Quote