Help

Special Education

Binder Questions???

>

I Luv SpEd

Binder Questions???
Old 06-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As special educators we have so much paperwork to deal with and keep up with. I believe I am a binder-holic...I have too many binders. I was wondering if someone would share their method of organization. For example, do you have 1 binder that keeps all your student personal information? 1 binder for IEP's and data collection etc... Thanks in advance for you input

I Luv SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Yes and no--
Old 06-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I keep the master student confidential IEP binders in a locked cabinet for all those kids I have on my caseload. I have a smaller binder we use as a portfolio to show progress throughout the year.

In my classroom with my lesson planner for everyday use, I have a binder set up sorta like a Trapper Keeper thing. I have plastic pocket folders that come with a three hole punched spine. I have one for each student.

Within the trapper keeper thing [big binder], I put a plastic folder and a working copy of the IEP for each student. The "working copy" is one I can rearange and/or write on.

On the day to day basis, I have everything on hand to work on and record their ongoing goals and progress. Plus any notes I make or papers that come up on them from/to parents, classroom teachers or admin, I slide into the plastic folder. That way, I can keep everything together. About once a month, I file the necessary papers and stuff in the permanent binder or their portfolios.

When it comes time for progress notes, everything is in one place. If I need to take stuff home to work on, I can take the whole binder or just pull out the plastic folders of the students I need to work on.

Is that what you mean?
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

I Luv SpEd

Thanks...
Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the idea of plastic insert folders for each student (everything you need in one place). I think I have have a few of those already (they snap together with velcro). Again, ,thanks for the information.
I Luv SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Whatever
Old 06-18-2010, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What a great system I am trying to picture this and so far it sounds good. I'm thinking with the size of my caseload I would need one of those HUGE binders and would only keep a copy of the goals in it for the students, but what a great way to get started!
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

cocoabean21

Whatever-thanks :)
Old 06-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the great ideas on organizing ieps and data sheets. I love the idea of the binder with individual folders-so much easier to make files portable, but still keep stuff together! I'm going to Office Max tomorrow to get started.

cocoabean21 is offline   Reply With Quote
hawaiipeg

hawaiipeg

Sped Teacher
Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have one folder (1")for each child that keeps-( left side )1 iep and most recent progress report lined sheet for any communication or comments for the day,Behaviorial reports/ counseling (right side) data sheets that refer to the iep objectives (broken down by language arts, math, behavior, etc) Have your data sheets as check off sheets by trials or number of opportunities. This makes it easier with numbers to code 4-independent 3-verbal/gentural 2partical physical 1-full physical 0-refusal. Mark off as child makes progress or needs more help in red for own visual reminder.
This makes collecting data simple and you are able to take this with you when needed. I take all the data sheets out at the end of the quarter and accumulate in a filing system in the class with a copy of the progress report. If any questions are asked that is my proof of what my student has accomplished and if changes are to be made. I hope I was able to help.

Bulldog8162

Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow...you are all very organized! This will be my first year teaching and I am trying to learn all I can about having everything organized so I won't go crazy. I have been a para for the last 4 years while going to school full time in the evenings....I am so ready but so scared!
Bulldog8162 is offline   Reply With Quote