Help

Special Education

Most Important Thing....

>

IEPPrincess

Most Important Thing....
Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As a Special Ed. teacher, the things that are the most important to me when teaching are wayyyy different than reg. ed. teachers. So, as the new school year starts, what do you find to be the most important thing(s) to have on hand in your classroom?

Mine is my flow chart of deadlines that starts from referral to placement and beyond so that I can keep my paperwork organized and on time. I also find that black ink pens and sharpies are of high value. Also, file folders in abundance to keep my documentation organized.

IEPPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvRacing

You MUST be a special ed teacher if...
Old 06-28-2010, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

...you have a flow chart of deadlines (re-evals, IEPs, etc)
...you carry highlighters and signature flags in your bag
...you start requiring family members to use graphic organizers to stay focused.
...you have color-coded folders for EVERYTHING!

Keep the list going.
LuvRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

You might be a SpEd teacher if...
Old 06-28-2010, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You need library books for every level from PreK board books to 5th grade...

You have 17 ways to teach the exact same thing and often have to use all 17...

People assume you "play" all day just because you have a few toys that are awesome for OT skills practice...

People assume you "play" all day because you use a few board games to reinforce key skills...

Gen Ed teachers assume you are "on call" for whatever they need whenever they need it, but can't be bothered to give you two minutes for critical information...

hhmmm...I am sure there are more...I just can't think of them right now...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

c-love

I love this one!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi!

I am not a special ed teacher.....yet! But I love this post! I hope more teachers post to this throughout the summer!!
c-love is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

I'm having a tough time
Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

thinking of what the most important thing is for me as a sped teacher, because there are many important things. My calendar planner is very important as far as IEP dates, trainings, and parent contacts. My lesson planners are very important as far as thinking through my year and what I plan to teach. I have a big grid schedule on my board of where everyone is and what time the various specials are. I am seeing a common theme of planners here, so I would say that having and following a clear and organized schedule is the most important thing to my programs success.

A big reason for this is that I work with several general education teachers who constantly rearrange their schedules. I gather schedules from every teacher who has inclusion students at the beginning of each year, and then create a schedule for in class support and pull out time according academic needs. I used to constantly rearrange my schedule to fit in all the changes. All the rearranging did was compromised service to my students, and drove me crazy. Now unless students are on a field trip, I keep their pullout schedule the same.

blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Lol!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Love the "on call" part!

I would have to say that my schedule and calendar are on the top of the list of importance for me. I also did the schedule and then when reg ed teachers moved theirs I moved mine. That only took me one semester to learn that it wouldn't work. I now stick to my schedule and it isn't to be mean, but it is because I just don't have the time to rearrange.

File folders are also at the top of my list of necessities for the classroom. That and at least one set of books for every grade level and then some.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher333

Old 07-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

An open mind, a sense of humor and being able to go with the flow and change directions in a moment's notice usually will serve you well!
teacher333 is offline   Reply With Quote

grace slick

most important
Old 07-25-2010, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I believe flexibility, and the ability to handle the school politics associated with being special ed. As well as the ability to say NO gracefully (still haven't figured out how to do this)
but from a pragmatic point of view if I walked into an empty room filled only with students (which happened to my on my first job) would be my abc tiles, and unfix blocks....It is amazing what you can teach with a few good manipulatives---by the way I did survive to tell the tale.
grace slick is offline   Reply With Quote