Help

Magnolia Room

RC newbie- fighting at recess

>

mobleya

RC newbie- fighting at recess
Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm still learning the RC process as I go and I was hoping you fabulous teachers will be able to help me with dealing with fighting at recess. These would be in impulsive kids who kick and hit rather than trying to solve the problem with words (1st graders).

This is only day two of the school year, so I haven't yet visited logical consequences with my kids. Do I go ahead and have a class meeting discussing this problem on the playground? Then brainstorm a list of logical consequences together?

Thanks for your help!!

RDING1DER

Old 08-24-2010, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow . . .I also teach first grade, and I'm pretty sure the fighting is probably coming from boys. :-) They can be pretty hyper at that age, but cute. Anyhow, my suggestion would be to talk to the boys together, and explain to them why fighting is something that we don't do in first grade. I know it's very hard, because you may or may have not established classroom rules as of yet. I would talk to them and warn them before recess tommorrow, and if the fighting continues go ahead and start loss of priviledge. Have them sit out for fighting. Also, I would definetly inform their parents, you don't want this to be a continuous problem. I know it sucks when the first conversation you have with parents is about fighting, but they have to know it's unacceptable behavior, and that you are concerned about their safety. I hope this helps; hang in there :-)

Nicki2482

Logical Consequence
Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it's ok to give these children a logical consequence even though you haven't explicitly taught them in class yet. My thought would be that if the students are fighting at recess, they need to sit out for some or all of their recess time. I'd say something like "since you aren't taking care of others at recess, you'll have to miss some (or all) of recess today. When you try recess again, you'll need to remember to take care of others by keeping your hands to yourself" -- or something along those lines!

Good luck!

mobleya

Old 08-25-2010, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you RDING1DER and Nicki2482! I'm so caught up on doing this the "right" way and really appreciate your thoughts!