Help

Magnolia Room

What do you do?

>

sureads

What do you do?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have used the responsive classroom approach for one year now. I have not been through the training but borrowed the manual from a friend. I have also read 'The Power of Our Words" and "Teaching Kids to Care". But am wondering why no one has responded to the post about two or three posts down about what to do with kids who are physically violent? I have wondered about this as well and it doesn't seem to be addressed in any of the Responsive Classroom books I have read. Can anyone help?

Mrs. R :)

Old 09-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here is a great article.
http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/n.../22_3nl_4.html

Also, Solving Thorny Behavior Problems and Sammy and His Behavior Problems are excellent resources for working with children who have social/emotional difficulties.

Keep in mind, there comes a point where a child's behavior may need interventions from outside your classroom. It may not be the first step, but it should be on your menu of possibilities.

Sureads...I am interested in what you consider the "manual" for Responsive Classroomm to be. What is the resource to which you're referring?

sureads

Mrs.R.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am simply referring to the book/guide she received when attending the training. I am sorry if "manual" wasn't the correct word choice. I just thought you would know what I was referring to. That wasn't the main point of my question anyway. I just wanted help/input on what to do with children that acted out physically, which you answered.

Mrs. R :)

Sureads
Old 09-03-2010, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh dear! I notice you seem upset in your response to my question. I am sorry if you misread the tone in my email. I was only asking a clarifying question about a word you used in your post. I didn't want to assume anything, and I hope you aren't offended by me trying to gather information.

I have worked with many people who think of Responsive Classroom as a "program" that is to be put into place and added onto curriculum. I wanted to be able to clear up any misconception, if there was one. We actually refer to the book as a Workbook or Resource, because we don't want the Approach to be confused with a program. I hope that makes sense.

I am glad to know that you have Teaching Children to Care and The Power of Our Words. those are two of my favorite books and I hope you go back to them often!

I am also glad I could help you with your question.
Mrs. R