Help

Magnolia Room

Logical Consequence HELP!

>

SGavin

Logical Consequence HELP!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello my helpful PT friends! I am in my 2nd week of school for this year and I'd like some general advice on what to do with a certain child. I teach Kindergarten, so keep that in mind!

Let's call the student Adam.... Adam continually talks while I am talking, even after reminding, redirecting, and reinforcing. He has gone to time out for both short and long periods of time and STILL comes out talking to his friends. As the year goes on I do have a plan to help him with learning about taking turns, think pair share, and other ways to get his ideas and comments heard. Until that happens though... what logical consequence can I use with him if Time Out isn't working? It is not R.C. to use recess time to practice sitting quietly, so I checked that off my idea list. I have tried having him be the student to model what it looks like when we listen and he does a great job... he begins talking to students near him the second I bring up, well, ANYTHING haha! He is the kind of kid where I am living 90% in the reactive because the proactive hasn't helped yet.... HELP MY SANITY and get me back into the 10% reactive!

I appreciate ANY and ALL of your ideas or pieces of advice

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 09-02-2010, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is talking the only issue or are there other problems too--like impulse control, inattention, etc.? I'm thinking perhaps this may be an ADD/ADHD issue that needs to be addressed with his parents. If you don't suspect that is the problem, perhaps take him aside and make up a special signal that applies only to him--kind of like you are in a special, secret club--and when you give him the signal it means "you're doing it again." See how many times you have to use the signal on day 1 of doing this and make it a goal to reduce the number of times you must use the signal as each day passes.

I think the trick to making logical consequences truly work is to figure out what is important to him. What does he really like? Is there a particular job he enjoys doing in the classroom, a particular center he is drawn to, etc? Whatever he cares about most is the privilege he should lose for not making his goal. For example, if he loves playing with blocks you could say "Adam, since I cannot trust you to be quiet during morning meeting, I'm don't think I can trust you to play with the blocks quietly either. You may go to X center instead." Exceeding his goal of staying quiet and not making you use the signal could mean extra time in that center, he gets chosen to share during MM, etc. "Adam, now that you have proven to me that you have self control, you may ____."

I am new to RC by the way, so those of you with more experience than me can feel free to correct me if I am off-base.

peggyteach

Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First, this is only the 2nd week of school, so be patient You are doing good proactive work w/ Adam. It takes time to practice new behaviors and you are on the way!

You already have seen that Adam may need a lot of reminding and modeling often. Keep doing that. Notice and reinforce his effort toward his goal. Can he verbalize his goal? Is he aware of his behavior? Let him know that you want to hear what he has to say when it is appropriate. Does he just love to talk? Does he want your attention? Maybe plan some 1-1 time to talk. When he models, he does it well - so he is able to do it. It seems that getting to know Adam might be the key.

I have found that when I am doing too much reacting, I am exhausted! It always helps me to look at the whole class - as well as the Adams- and look for behaviors to reinforce, and I always find a lot of good things that I have been ignoring when my focus is on the kid that is driving me crazy. Giving my energy to those who are doing what they are supposed to - that's what helps me keep my sanity.
Peggy