Help

Magnolia Room

Logical Consequence?

>

WriteTeach

Logical Consequence?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My coteacher and I were talking today about the kids we had last year who NEVER did their homework. Neither of us could come up with a logical consequence that seemed fitting. We teach 5th. What do you all do for a logical consequence for not doing homework?

pg

Not particularly creative, hopefully logical?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We just keep them in for recess.

I don't present that as a punishment ~ just something they need to do to better understand and succeed. I feel it's a natural response; if I spent the evening playing around instead of grading papers, I'd have to put some extra time in to make up for that.

Does that make sense? I'd love to know what you think of that!

Thanks and good luck! pg

peggyteach

Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Being proactive about homework has been my best solution to that problem. There have been some great things written about homework, and it has made me re-think my approach.

The first couple of weeks of school, I have them do most of their homework in school. And teach, model, and practice what it will be like doing the work at home. There are many parts to homework - writing down the assignment, remembering to take it home, doing it, putting it back in the backpack, and bringing it back to school, and remembering to pass it in!! The first two weeks of school, they , at least, begin their hw in school and I am sure it is in their back pack. (I have done this w/ gr 4 and 5)

Those first two weeks I can learn a lot about the kids - who has trouble with what part of the hw process. I can see right off that some do not have what it takes to be successful. If they can't be independent w/ homework, I want to teach them how, be sure they have support at home, and to know what the trouble spots are. I like to have a time during the day when kids could start their homework, maybe 15 minutes. If students have proven that they can be independent about all the parts from taking it home to passing it in, then they have the privilege of doing it all at home. Then they can use that 15 minutes for a free choice activity (that is more fun!). This is a win-win for all.

I would never have just one consequence for missing hw. Is it a chronic problem? I might allow kids who have trouble getting work done at home to come into school early to do it, or miss morning meeting to finish. I would need to know why the homework is not done in order to help the child learn how to fix their problem.
This is always a sticky issue at my school. Would love to hear how others do this.
Peggy