Magnolia Room

New to RC - need help with school-wide program

>

NancyAnne

New to RC - need help with school-wide program
Old 08-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone!
I am a School Counselor in a K-5 school and new to Responsive Classroom.

For years, I have done a school-wide program to recognize students who display good character traits such as respect and responsibility - a "caught being good" kind of program. I know it does not fit in with Responsive Classroom, but instead of getting rid of it, I would like to see if can be adapted to work with the RC approach and I need your suggestions!!

Here's the way I've been doing it: when teachers observe a student behaving respectfully or responsibly, they tell me and I add the student's name to a big display in the main hallway. Then, every week, we have a random drawing for a prize - any student whose name is on the board has a chance to win.

I know the prizes need to go! I thought I might continue posting students' names without the prizes, but now I'm thinking even this is anti-RC. What do you think? Can I tweek it in some way and keep it, or should I get rid of it all together? Thanks in advance for your help!!

mobleya

I was waiting
Old 08-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

to see if anyone else responded to this first, since I'm still very green when it comes to RC. My thoughts on this are that even though you're taking away the prizes, posting the students' names is against the RC philosophy. However, since you're doing this school-wide, what if you put your time and energy into the teaching of RC? Could you find books that promote apology of action, using I messages to problem solve, etc? You could post artwork or film students acting out short skits that teach these concepts and good character traits??

Could you do something school-wide with hopes and dreams? It might be neat if all of the teachers displayed the students' hopes and dreams in a similar way. You and the principal can use this common language when talking to the students throughout the year and when students reach their goals and set new ones.

I'm sure those of you out there that are more seasoned teachers in RC have better ideas than this- these were just off the top of my head!

peggyteach

Old 09-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi NancyAnne,
This is an on-going discussion at my school, and I know, at many other schools. Being recognized for being respectful and responsible is a wonderful thing - and adds to kids' sense of significance. I think you will find that a trinket/prize will not be missed. You are wise to think about how to slowly make changes.

Maybe, think about building a relationship with those being recognized - a simple 1-1 conversation about their contribution to the school would help you get to know them better. Depending on the size of your school, maybe a visit to their morning meetings - once every few weeks would do it - to hear about the respectful and responsible things they are doing. Let them self-report instead of having the teacher nominate them.
Would love to hear what you decide to do.
Peggy