Magnolia Room

"too Cool" for MOrning Meeting

>

rSquirrel

"too Cool" for MOrning Meeting
Old 09-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a 1, 2, 3

and I have 1 boy in grade 3 who acts like hes too cool for school. He wont participate in MM, if he does its lazy and "half-a**ed" (excuse my language)

I don't know what to do. He doesn't even like the activities!

I know it says in the beginning if they don't want to try that it is ok, give them the option and then they can try it the next day.

If I gave him that option he would just sit there. Its not because hes shy because he talks all the time.

I'm at a point where I feel like saying "It's not a choice. Everyone participates fully in MM."

Maybe that's not very RC of me. What should I do ?

Any suggestions?

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 09-29-2010, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have several students who act too cool for MM this year. I told them after the first couple of times passing, that it was no longer a choice. THey have to participate. If they do not greet someone with a smile and eye contact I make them redo it. It is so sad for the recieving child to get a half-assed greeting!

rSquirrel

Old 09-29-2010, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know!

Thanks Tatum.

Mrs. R :)

Old 10-02-2010, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Remember that MM is a time for the rules of your classroom to come to life... so bring it back to the rules. tatum hit upon this a bit. It is sad for those to not get a greeting, but MORE than that, "In this classroom, we all agreed to take care of one another. When you pass or make faces to another child, are you following our classroom rules?"

Obviously not.

So, then you come in with your Logical Consequences...maybe some Apology of Action. Perhaps a Problem Solving COnference.

You also may want to delve a little deeper into WHY these children think they are "too cool". Do they have some underlying fear or are they uncomfortable doing something? Remember to keep the greetings/activities low-risk...maybe even do some partner activities before you have them do whole group activities. They may have some baggage from another teacher and classroom that makes it hard for them to participate when everyone is looking at them! Remember that the goal of these times is to build a team and community. If they are feeling uncomfortable, their needs aren't being met and there may be a reason that is easily addressed with just a tweak to your MM.

Mrs. R