Magnolia Room

Rough bunch update

>

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Rough bunch update
Old 10-16-2010, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am happy to report that the behavior in my room has improved. We are getting there. I did not give up on my teacher language and Logical consequences.

I have a communication notebook for behavior with two children and this is helping them.

I also found out that one of my boys "Superman"--he boy who flew over my couch..he is having a rough time dealing with his parents getting remarried to other people. This is why he is acting out. I had a nice heart to heart meeting with mom and dad with the child. He is getting some outside counseling now.

The boy who made fun of the mentally handicapped child is living in a rough situation at home too. He gets no support or guidance from his mom, who is a single mom. She sleeps all day and from the sounds of it, she is not coherent a lot of the time. (DSS has been notified) I have him after school with me twice a week for extra help and special time. He gets his work done with me. He can't get anything done in his home. poor boy.

I have one boy who still struggles to be socially appropriate. The past two weeks he has, cut his hair, put glue from a glue stick on his lips, and stuck his finger in the fan and got hurt. His parents are working on getting him some help. I will continue to remind him of socially acceptable behavior.

As for the class as a whole, it has just taken them longer to build community than other classes I have had. I have noticed that I had to beef up my reinforcing language. This has worked wonders. I am also finding now that Academic Choice has taken over our classroom, that they seem more engaged in learning. They don't have time to misbehave because they are HAPPILY working!

Instilling Reader's Workshop has helped my higher kids who were bored with our basal activities!

We are on our way!!!

mobleya

WoW!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are an amazing teacher! So dedicated you your kids! I'm glad that you've found some core reasons for the students acting out. Can you tell me more about your communication notebook? Is this school to home or just a log of your communication with the student?

Keep it up!
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 10-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thanks for your kind words. The communication notebook is just a blue book notebook. I write a quick note about the child's behavior in it and the parent writes back. It is nice because both students look forward to a good report going home every day....well most days. I have done problem solving conferences with the kids too. I have a log for that where I write down what the student and I talked about and plans for the future.