Help

Magnolia Room

Bucket fillers?

>

afmom2boys

Bucket fillers?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If I use Bucket Fillers in my classroom, is that going against Responsive Classroom beliefs?

MiamiEm324

Buckets and RC
Old 12-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our school uses ideas from both Bucket Fillers and RC, and so far I love what I have seen. Both concepts mean different things to different people, but for me Bucket Filling is just a more concrete way to view and acknowledge being considerate of others. My classroom discipline is still based on RC (and Love and Logic by Jim Fay- highly recommend it!), but we uses the Bucket Filler language to talk about being respectful and considerate.

Something that has worked well for us is having a "Bucket Filler" meeting at the end of the day most days (time permitting with passing out papers and packing up). It is student run (allowing me time to check on busses, notes, etc.), and the kids can acknowledge someone who "filled their bucket" that day by sharing what they did and then writing their name on a slip of paper. The slips all go into one big bucket and once a week I draw out a "Bucket Filler of the Week." Anyone who has a story about that person filling their bucket shares. Consequently, the winner also leaves with a full bucket that afternoon : ) We don't have any tangible "prizes" but the kids get into it anyway. I have really liked how it has drawn their attention (and mine!) to the positive things happening each day. It is generally a nice way to wrap up our day (the social skills learned in morning meeting make that student run afternoon meeting actually stay relatively focused and smooth).

Hope that helps!