Help

Special Education

new grade level

>

Teachgulf16

new grade level
Old 07-02-2016, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have been an ESE teacher for 12 years in the elementary level. I have always taught SLD students, however, this year I will be teaching at the middle school level. I will have a functional skills class, I have one para and 8 students with multiple disabilities. All the students are non ambulatory. I am so nervous about it, not because students abilities, but because I feel I am not sure on how to structure my day. Students are nonverbal and most have vision problems. I would appreciate any tips you can offer on things such as schedule and instructional tips. Thank you so much!

Teachgulf16 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Just saying hi
Old 07-03-2016, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I went from elementary to middle school and love it!

Unfortunately, I can't help much since my kids are moderate, but I think we sell ourselves short. Give yourself a few days, and you will find the rhythm of the students. Your class schedule will come together.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Welcome!
Old 07-03-2016, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your new assignment sounds very rewarding. I can't advise on your schedule as I teach 1st, but can you contact last year's teacher to ask what worked for them? Or do you have aides that are returning? They would be a great resource.

If it's a brand new program, I agree that you'll need to meet them and see what their needs and abilities are, and take it from there.

Congrats on your new job, and welcome to PT!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Good advice given
Old 07-03-2016, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check with last year's teacher or paras. I would also read the IEPs for guidance. Good luck!
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Hello and welcome
Old 07-03-2016, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was in elem for 7 years--1st - 5th with mixed disabilities/eligibility. Then I moved out of state and the only position within an hour of my house was middle school. I really liked it. When I returned to my home state, I took on a high school position--it was tough due to the bigger kids--sassy attitudes--etc.

A few months in, our student population shifted dramatically and I was put in a self contained class of middle schoolers with BD/ED. It was a challenge but we all adjusted.

Just remember that everything you learned in your previous experience will help here. You will still have a variety of instructional levels with these students so I too would check the IEPs for that.

Also, with this many non-ambulatory students, their physical needs with take a huge amount of time. With just one para, OT/PT, restroom needs, feeding, etc. may take up a huge portion of the day. I would block those items in the schedule first and set up small group times for lessons based on their needs.

Frankly I am surprised you only have one para with that many non ambulatory students. You will need to find out how you are expected to handle restroom breaks and so forth. Are they in diapers? On catheters? Anyone using a feeding tube?

In my last district, we had a motorized lift for the wheelchair bound to use the toilet but it require two adults to do so.

Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

Teachgulf16

Old 07-03-2016, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, I really like this community!
Teachgulf16 is offline   Reply With Quote