Mandatory Dyslexia Screenings in Missouri

>

Haley23

Mandatory Dyslexia Screenings in Missouri
Old 06-30-2016, 01:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Saw this on FB this morning...
http://www.therepublic.com/2016/06/2...xia-screening/

This isn't my state, but I am curious as to how this will play out on a practical level. From reading the comments, I gather that currently in MO dyslexia is still considered a medical diagnosis and schools can only do "specific learning disability in the area of reading." There are lots of comments from frustrated parents about schools not "recognizing" the disability (because of the medical diagnosis thing). I'm wondering how accurate the screening is going to be and what they're going to do with the results. Especially if the screening is done with very young students, I could see half of my school's population "failing" the screening, but in some cases it could be just a developmental delay or a kid that would normally be considered "low average." I wonder if they will be recommending further testing and/or sped services based on this. What do you think?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

dyslexia screening
Old 07-02-2016, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This isn't my state either, but I do know that there is some talk of using the word dyslexia for SPED where I'm at. I think it's semantics. Dyslexia is a reading disability. I'm a school psych, so I tell parents that the school cannot currently label dyslexia, but we do say specific learning disability and then I list the areas in which learning is affected. Parents seem to be okay with that.

I do love who teachers will get a whopping TWO hours of training about this though!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-05-2016, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I thought the two hour thing was funny too. I agree that it's semantics as far as dyslexia/SLD in reading, but at least at my school I seem to be in the minority on that. Parents and teachers alike are always asking about it. Our psych has done a couple of short presentations on PD days about how dyslexia is really just defined as a problem with decoding and is not some "special specific thing" even though it's a medical diagnosis. Obviously if we see they have a problem with decoding then that's what their interventions will be focused on. Even the other sped teacher that I work with said that her daughter is dyslexic and she does think her sped services changed once she got the diagnosis.

I'm just wondering where they are getting this "screening" and what it will look like. I teach in a low SES school and it seems that literally around 80% of our younger students have a really hard time with decoding, even though we have a strong phonics program. It seems that something like this could create a lot of chaos.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-08-2016, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think that's awesome! Dyslexia screening is as simple as specific phonological tasks. It can be super quick, and it can catch kids who are more prone to having reading difficulties that may be dyslexia.

2 hours of training would be enough to stress important foundation skills and screening information, but not enough to talk about appropriate interventions in any sort of detail.

I was always taught dyslexia was a medical diagnosis, as was ADHD. Realistically, neither of those are really medical at all. They're really behavioral. I wonder how they ended up with that categorization?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote